Matsutech HP-33A. Reset of MMSI procedure. Useful to owners for the future maybe.

Refueler

Visit site
Having asked others - it appears that 'Greeny' and myself are not only ones who have managed to find MMSI is editable on their Plotter / AIS units.

I've tried to find an official copy of the Regs ... but so far all web searches have only led to 3rd party sites ... If anyone actually has a copy of the Regs - any chance of a link and the relevant paragraphs ??

EDIT :

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/m/R-REC-M.493-15-201901-I!!PDF-E.pdf

This ITU document details all specifications regarding DSC and MMSI. Section 12.4 looks to be the part that interests us most.

{quote]12.4 Maritime mobile service identity
DSC equipment should not transmit any DSC call until own ship’s MMSI allocated to the ship by the relevant administration has been configured and stored in the DSC equipment. Once stored, it should only be possible for an authorised user to change the MMSI with advice/cooperation from the manufacturer. The DSC equipment should display own ship’s MMSI on start-up unless the MMSI has not been configured. If the MMSI has not been configured, the equipment will display a warning that the unit will not transmit any DSC calls until own ship’s MMSI is entered. The equipment should stay in this state until the operator confirms he has read the display and input own ship’s MMSI. The MMSI should be readily displayed on the human machine interface when the DSC equipment is on. [/quote]

As I commented earlier ... I wonder if the DSC Emergency 'Red Button' function of VHF is the factor governing editing of MMSI on a VHF .... but as a Plotter with AIS does not have such function ?? The paragraph quoted clearly links MMSI with DSC. I would also point to the line : "it should only be possible for an authorised user to change the MMSI with advice/cooperation from the manufacturer".
Would an owner of the unit be such 'authorised user' ?? The opening post of this thread shows manufacturer cooperating with owner / user ......

This then brings forth the question as to whether the rule has been used to create a 'job' for dealers ?? Interesting.

If anyone can find a better definitive explanation - please ....

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As I commented earlier ... I wonder if the DSC Emergency 'Red Button' function of VHF is the factor governing editing of MMSI on a VHF .... but as a Plotter with AIS does not have such function ??

As i keep saying, the absence of the DSC function in your plotter/AIS is irrelevant, standard AIS transceivers also do not have editable MMSI numbers and they certainly do not have "red buttons".

Don't believe me ? Do a Google search for "resetting AIS MMSI", plenty of info from all of the main manufacturers, none of whom allow such a thing.

In addition, it is also a criminal offence to do so in the US, possibly elsewhere.

Refueler

Visit site
As i keep saying, the absence of the DSC function in your plotter/AIS is irrelevant, standard AIS transceivers also do not have editable MMSI numbers and they certainly do not have "red buttons".

Don't believe me ? Do a Google search for "resetting AIS MMSI", plenty of info from all of the main manufacturers, none of whom allow such a thing.

In addition, it is also a criminal offence to do so in the US, possibly elsewhere.

Paul ... you are really driving your PoV without considering the matter. We are all aware of the absence of Red Button on AIS tranceivers and that most cannot have MMSI edited.

As regards USA - they have led to many interpretations of many things that world has adopted ... but it does not answer the question. The lack of editing of MMSI on many units is probably to allow them to be sold or are assembled in USA according to US specs.

I linked to ITU document and also quoted from it ... are you now going to say that ITU is wrong ?

I have 'googled' resetting MMSI and yes majority say its a Dealer procedure ... NO-ONE is arguing that ... except you.

I asked why some units can be edited and it appears from that ITU document - it is allowable for User to edit MMSI ... WITH CO-OPERATION / Assistance of manufacturer. If some manufacturers choose to deny that assistance and force people to Dealers ... that is their choice. Most likely just to satisfy USA market.

I cannot understand why you refuse to accept the words of ITU ??

Regulations / Rules / Guidance such as the ITU's are minimum and if a Govt / State Authority chooses to use that or be stricter - then that is their choice. USA has chosen that path apparently, but USA is not the World.

For many people here - they would be subject to EU / UK rules on it - depending on where they keep / operate / register their gear. So instead of keep saying its not possible - why not drag out EU or UK (Ofcom) regs so we can see what EU / UK rules are ??

anders88

Visit site
Paul... realmente estás manejando tu PoV sin considerar el asunto. Todos somos conscientes de la ausencia del botón rojo en los transceptores AIS y que la mayoría no puede editar el MMSI.

En lo que respecta a EE. UU., han dado lugar a muchas interpretaciones de muchas cosas que el mundo ha adoptado ... pero no responde la pregunta. La falta de edición de MMSI en muchas unidades es probablemente para permitir que se vendan o se ensamblen en EE. UU. de acuerdo con las especificaciones de EE. UU.

Me vinculé al documento de la UIT y también lo cité... ¿ahora vas a decir que la UIT está equivocada?

He "buscado en Google" para restablecer el MMSI y sí, la mayoría dice que es un procedimiento del distribuidor... NADIE lo argumenta... excepto usted.

Pregunté por qué algunas unidades se pueden editar y aparece en ese documento de la UIT: está permitido que el usuario edite MMSI ... CON COOPERACIÓN / Asistencia del fabricante. Si algunos fabricantes optan por negar esa asistencia y obligar a la gente a acudir a los Concesionarios... esa es su elección. Lo más probable es que solo satisfaga el mercado de EE. UU.

No puedo entender por qué te niegas a aceptar las palabras de la UIT.

Los reglamentos/reglas/orientaciones como las de la UIT son mínimas y si un gobierno/autoridad estatal elige usar eso o ser más estricto, entonces esa es su elección. Aparentemente, EE. UU. ha elegido ese camino, pero EE. UU. no es el mundo.

Para muchas personas aquí, estarían sujetos a las normas de la UE / Reino Unido al respecto, dependiendo de dónde guarden / operen / registren su equipo. Entonces, en lugar de seguir diciendo que no es posible, ¿por qué no arrastrar los registros de la UE o el Reino Unido (Ofcom) para que podamos ver cuáles son las reglas de la UE / Reino Unido?
[/COTIZAR]

Screenshot_20221130-075356.pngScreenshot_20221130-075309.png

greeny

Visit site
What is the world coming to? Argument after argument. I posted the procedure to try to help Matsutec owners should they ever need to change their mmsi in their set. I appreciate that approved AIS sets should not have the function to allow users to change mmsi but to the best of my knowledge the Matsutech gear is not "approved" equipment or at least it wasn't when I originally bought it direct from China. So it's no surprise to me that they have built in the function that allows it. Why can't people just accept the facts (it worked on my set) and accept the information offered. Maybe I won't bother next time!

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
What is the world coming to? Argument after argument. I posted the procedure to try to help Matsutec owners should they ever need to change their mmsi in their set. I appreciate that approved AIS sets should not have the function to allow users to change mmsi but to the best of my knowledge the Matsutech gear is not "approved" equipment or at least it wasn't when I originally bought it direct from China. So it's no surprise to me that they have built in the function that allows it. Why can't people just accept the facts (it worked on my set) and accept the information offered. Maybe I won't bother next time!
please do bother...
just ignore the grumpy brigade.

n07900

Visit site
just a little up date...19-4-23. really usefull info here....to add to the pot...i have just received a matsutec 528a ais transponder from china. i had entered my mmsi and all other details. and it is all running fine. i thought id try the istructions on this thread to change my mmsi....what worked was doing a factory reset.....mmsi was all clear and ready to be entered again

Other threads that may be of interest