Mastgate quickfix?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Was wondering what to do about it? I don't want a permanent solution, as the permanent solution (new masttrack) is going in soon-ish (still waiting on it after a few earlier hiccups). I will attach pictures, but I wonder what I can do to keep the sail slugs from falling out without making a big, huge job out of Do you think if I'd use duct tape, after the slides are in, and just narrow the gap the rest of the track, that it will be good enough so I can raise and lower the sails without having to handfeed the slugs? I know I could buy a stopper that would fit in, but it would be really high up when stowing the sail away. I was thinking to cut a piece of metal to pieces, but I lack materials for that and my powertool just died yesterday, too.
It only needs to withstand light weater sailing, maybe twice a week for less than 2 months or so.
Just seeing what input I can get here. Bit inonvenient that you can't just buy premade mast gates.

I am converting the whole system from roller-boom and boltrope to slugs and slab reefing. The system until now works with an open mastgate obviously, as there are no slugs.
screenshot-20230502-141953.pngscreenshot-20230502-141858.png

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Plastic slug in the track held in place with a plate on the outside of the track and self tapped through the plate into the slug.
Into the slug? Do you mean like one of these stoppers? I do't like the idea because the mastgate is really high up. I am looking for ways to arrow the mastgate track (you know where it gets wide so you can insert and take out the slugs)Davis-Sail-Track-Stops.jpg

greeny

Visit site
I made a couple of strips cut from a carpet threshold strip, Took a bit of cutting and filing and then had to be fixed to the mast which meant drilling and tapping the mast. In you case as your making wholesale changes, I wouldn't bother, just use a sail slug illustrated earlier and accept the high position until you make your changes.
Even the one I made and customized several times, used to stick occasionally and could be a pain in the arse. Getting it to be smooth running is not easy.

Boathook

Visit site
Selden do a fitting that fits in the slot and normally is used when the sprung mast gate has to be removed. Had to fit one on my boat when I had a new main. There was I seem to remember another thread a while back that mentioned this fitting.
My tablet is struggling otherwise I would have searched for the thread.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Selden do a fitting that fits in the slot and normally is used when the sprung mast gate has to be removed. Had to fit one on my boat when I had a new main. There was I seem to remember another thread a while back that mentioned this fitting.
My tablet is struggling otherwise I would have searched for the thread.
I found this on google:
https://support.seldenmast.com/files/1383742136/excerpts/595-808-E-50-51.pdf
This looks perfect actually. Have to measure later and see if I can buy it somewhere, but that's an easy solution that I wanted. Really couldn't be arsed with cutting and filing and drilling for a temporary fix. Depends on how expensive it is though.

Martin_J

Visit site
Well spotted...I guess you're talking about the Track Gate Insert.

I did initially wonder how you'd know which size to go for, then realised the sizes are shown in the mast section table for the Sail Entry gate..

You don't however have the sail entry gate...

Screenshot_20230504-143752_Drive.jpg

Or were you thinking about the Sail Slide part?

Boathook

Visit site
@Martin_J I took out the sail gate and put in the track gate insert you have ringed in red. The fitting is held in by 2 machine screws so you need to drill and tap the mast. Cant remember whether M5 or M6 size thread. Gaffer tape might be OK to hold fitting in place for a short time as the fitting was a snug fit on my mast.

Martin_J

Visit site
Indeed, although your maat had the correctly sized shape already cut.

From the original photos in this post though, it would be more tricky working out which size insert might fit best.. Perhaps a supplier will have measurements and it would be handy if one did fit snugly.