Mariner 6hp 4 stroke went saltwater swimming

Buzaround

Visit site
Hi All
My 14 year old son took our small boat out last night with Mariner 6 hp 4 stroke and unfortunately it fell off transom into water.Somehow he managed to keep hold of it as it took a swim and obviously it stopped running when it entered water he says it was under for 3 seconds.
He got it ashore quickly washed it off with fresh water and then removed spark plug, tipped it up to get water out then put oil in cylinder while turning flywheel then left it overnight.
The next day I changed oil which was milky ,drained carb and fuel lines and started it but oil pressure light came on so did another oil change and same again oil light on and milky oil so changed oil again started again but still light on and milky again.Went through procedure again and oil light on again but oil a lot less milky by which time I’d run out of oil.
So question is are there grounds for optimism that the oil is less cloudy ?Will a couple more oil changes sort it?See pic below for oil comparison
Thanks

Attachments

• F32BFB1A-34C2-44AB-99E3-6DB0E61A6DE8.jpeg
    F32BFB1A-34C2-44AB-99E3-6DB0E61A6DE8.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 2

Boathook

Visit site
Hi All
My 14 year old son took our small boat out last night with Mariner 6 hp 4 stroke and unfortunately it fell off transom into water.Somehow he managed to keep hold of it as it took a swim and obviously it stopped running when it entered water he says it was under for 3 seconds.
He got it ashore quickly washed it off with fresh water and then removed spark plug, tipped it up to get water out then put oil in cylinder while turning flywheel then left it overnight.
The next day I changed oil which was milky ,drained carb and fuel lines and started it but oil pressure light came on so did another oil change and same again oil light on and milky oil so changed oil again started again but still light on and milky again.Went through procedure again and oil light on again but oil a lot less milky by which time I’d run out of oil.
So question is are there grounds for optimism that the oil is less cloudy ?Will a couple more oil changes
Well done to your son for keeping hold of it.

Could try a flushing oil. Is there an oil filter as that will require replacement.

As per @snowbird30ds if the engine was running as it entered the water is the con rod damaged.

penfold

Visit site
Do people not tie their O/Bs on anymore? Ours has a permanent tether, only untied so it can be retied on another vessel for transfer.