Marine surveyor recommendations In or close to Ipswich-Norfolk first thing in 2023

ritchyp

Visit site
Hello fellow members,
I am new as of today, to this forum. I have made an offer STS and will be viewing her in Ipswich in several days. I alive in mid Wilts so i's a minimum 3 hour journey each way. There is a survey done in 2020 but the broker does not have access to this. In any case it can not be relied on 24/30 months later.
Yes I could trawl through search engines and look for local marine surveyors but I prefer to to to go on personal recommendations based on the clients' experience. As we all know there may be better surveyors out there (probably semi retired and not advertising) but brilliant in there field.
I'm slightly perplexed as to why the broker has not been given the survey, which if was was al Plus ,Plus, Plus, then would be a benefit in selling the vessel.

I'm told I will be given the old 2020 survey after i have driven the 175 miles to view her. Its a great looking and well equipped yacht which ticks 7/8 of 10 maximum boxes for my tastes and needs . Naturally, I will need to have another survey by a thorough surveyor ASAP. Once I have paid the deposit, i should be safe from others making offers but I have never paid a deposit before the survey.
The broker or agent in this case is well known organisation that is growing but not been on the seen for that many years but I am sure that the deposit will be partially returned minus lifting and survey fees(if it is very bad news) I have no doubt.

This is the east coast forum and being a newbie here. I didnt want to post in sections where it is inappropriate. If my request could be spread further afield, then please share the post or its URL.

A good friend and yachtsman of 30 years, is telling me to hold off until February as he believes prices will fall in the new year and The high Inflation will cause a a dwnturn in any large assets such as property and Boats anything else of significant value. So far I have seen prices holding (2020/2021) stay-cationary prices or even rising slightly so only time will tell.....?
Comments on this are welcome if the the main question can not be helped with.

Many Thanks in advance

RitchyP

DanTribe

Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have had good service from Dominic Buckley, East Anglian Yacht Services. He has done several surveys for me for purchase and insurance. Sensible and approachable, he will often give verbal advice in addition to his written report.
Sometimes brokers can be unwilling to release old surveys because it is a contract between the surveyor and whoever paid for it.
Good luck.

38mess

Visit site
Another vote for Dom Buckley. First class service and a great communicator. Saved me a packet on an wooden boat I was interested in.
The report was 50 pages long with 100 photographs

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Hello fellow members,
I am new as of today, to this forum. I have made an offer STS and will be viewing her in Ipswich in several days. I alive in mid Wilts so i's a minimum 3 hour journey each way. There is a survey done in 2020 but the broker does not have access to this. In any case it can not be relied on 24/30 months later.
Yes I could trawl through search engines and look for local marine surveyors but I prefer to to to go on personal recommendations based on the clients' experience. As we all know there may be better surveyors out there (probably semi retired and not advertising) but brilliant in there field.
I'm slightly perplexed as to why the broker has not been given the survey, which if was was al Plus ,Plus, Plus, then would be a benefit in selling the vessel.

I'm told I will be given the old 2020 survey after i have driven the 175 miles to view her. Its a great looking and well equipped yacht which ticks 7/8 of 10 maximum boxes for my tastes and needs . Naturally, I will need to have another survey by a thorough surveyor ASAP. Once I have paid the deposit, i should be safe from others making offers but I have never paid a deposit before the survey.
The broker or agent in this case is well known organisation that is growing but not been on the seen for that many years but I am sure that the deposit will be partially returned minus lifting and survey fees(if it is very bad news) I have no doubt.

This is the east coast forum and being a newbie here. I didnt want to post in sections where it is inappropriate. If my request could be spread further afield, then please share the post or its URL.

A good friend and yachtsman of 30 years, is telling me to hold off until February as he believes prices will fall in the new year and The high Inflation will cause a a dwnturn in any large assets such as property and Boats anything else of significant value. So far I have seen prices holding (2020/2021) stay-cationary prices or even rising slightly so only time will tell.....?

Many Thanks in advance

RitchyP
would rcend jhn munns,marine services and he is a very eernced yachtsman swe ll
Bed nr ipwich

upcountry2

Visit site
I have used Martin Evans on recommendation, didn’t frighten the life out of me and explained everything .
No issues have come to life since. Very pleased….

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have used Martin Evans on recommendation, didn’t frighten the life out of me and explained everything .
No issues have come to life since. Very pleased….

Martin is outstanding, and has been a friend since 1987, but I think he is more or less retired and mostly interested in running training courses for the next generation of surveyors.

Hadenough

Visit site
John Munns. He generally has his yacht on the hard at Foxes over the winter .
Hello fellow members,

Many Thanks in advance

RitchyP
Joe Kershaw without a doubt.