Marine 16 Diesel Dipper

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
The bunker tankage on ships is often tanks forming an integral part of their bilges. Obviously, they also cannot have drains from the lowest parts of these tanks. What they do have, and what boats like your's would greatly benefit from, are "day use" tanks. In your case, this could be in the form of a modest tank, giving say a full day's motoring, installed at a higher level. The day use tank would be replenished from your main tank, by an electric or manual pump, and could even be arranged to give a gravity feed to the engine. The day use tank would be equipped with a small sump with a drain valve.

Not possible without completely messing up the interior of the boat.

Thank you for the suggestion.

PCUK

Visit site
Well, reason three times is dirty fuel. Once in Northern Ireland in 2007, once in Indonesia in 2014, and once in the Caribbean in 2018, and despite using a top rated biocide.

Re the Diesel Dipper - the filter is 40 microns and does not "polish" the diesel. The purpose is to access the lowest point of the tank where water and crud accumulate as the normal fuel pick-up pipe is at a higher level, and allow the removal of said water and crud.

If anyone could suggest a suitable equivalent filter and pump it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Finer filters are an option. You may notice I put polishing in inverted commas.

SatoshiNakamoto

Visit site
Has anyone fitted one of these, and if so any views?
For the third time I need to clean out the aluminium fuel tank (easy access and I have nitrile and Hylomar Blue for the access plate gasket) and SWMBO has put her foot down and says she is totally fed up with the time it takes to clean up her electric toothbrush after I have used it to reach the nooks and crannies ....

Advice appreciated about the Diesel Dipper or alternative. Advice about SWMBO not required.

Thanks

After searching hi and low for people who had actually fitted one of these I came to this forum and always said I’d share a video if I ever found one, that was last year now.

pvb

Visit site
After searching hi and low for people who had actually fitted one of these I came to this forum and always said I’d share a video if I ever found one, that was last year now.

Welcome to the forums!

The people in the video only installed the Diesel Dipper because they were given it free by Marine 16 in return for publicising it!

Nina Lucia

Visit site
We use dip tube going right down to the lowest corner of a tank, with Pela Pump, and just check every couple of months. Also Racor filter is next in line. On our old boat we had at the bottom of the tank small sump and drain easily accessible, unfortunately not on this one, so dip tube is only way.