Marinas on Sicily

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Having spent two winters in Greece I am looking to Sicily for next winter.
I have found Greece outside Athens very boring with few liveaboards or interesting places to visit.
I have obtained Greek residency and am wondering what's going on in Sicily with the 90 day restrictions.
Cheers

PlanB

Visit site
As I understand it, if you're a UK citizen with residency in one EU country, you don't have untrestricted time in any other EU country. How long depends on country rules.

Yngmar

Visit site
Marina di Ragusa has reportedly been helpful with Brits aboard getting Italian residency. Without, it's 90 days in 180. Technically you'd lose the Greek residency (at least most of them have a requirement for actually being there), but I'm not sure how well that is tracked in reality.

In Licata the only ones that got residency (that we know of) are the ones that rented flats in town. And even that is tricky, as it's unusual in Sicily to have a written tenancy agreement here, but the authorities want to see one.

One or two got residency by "moving in" at the Italian address of a friend, which can be anywhere in Italy, but they had to travel back and forth repeatedly to do the paperwork with the local authorities.

As for wintering, both Ragusa and Licata have sizable winter communities. Community activities are severely crippled due to Covid regulations. Also, at least here in Licata, most liveaboards are now German speaking, as almost all the Brits have moved on to Turkey. There's a few English speakers (Irish, Finns, Swedes, Germans who can pronounce "the") left though. Not sure what the distribution looks like in Ragusa.

MoodySabre

Visit site
2018 I did a week with friends finishing at Ragusa where they were over-wintering with their two children. There were about 20 English speaking kids there so lots of activities. A marina residents facebook group was useful ( I got a lift to Cantania airport which was a bonus). Large and well kept but a fairly long walk to the loos!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Marina di Ragusa has reportedly been helpful with Brits aboard getting Italian residency. Without, it's 90 days in 180. Technically you'd lose the Greek residency (at least most of them have a requirement for actually being there), but I'm not sure how well that is tracked in reality.

In Licata the only ones that got residency (that we know of) are the ones that rented flats in town. And even that is tricky, as it's unusual in Sicily to have a written tenancy agreement here, but the authorities want to see one.

One or two got residency by "moving in" at the Italian address of a friend, which can be anywhere in Italy, but they had to travel back and forth repeatedly to do the paperwork with the local authorities.

As for wintering, both Ragusa and Licata have sizable winter communities. Community activities are severely crippled due to Covid regulations. Also, at least here in Licata, most liveaboards are now German speaking, as almost all the Brits have moved on to Turkey. There's a few English speakers (Irish, Finns, Swedes, Germans who can pronounce "the") left though. Not sure what the distribution looks like in Ragusa.
Thank you for a good explanation