Marina man overboard

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Stopping to look at a weird construction on a pontoon, I stumbled and nearly fell in. The construction turned out to be a ladder, totally impractical and draped with copious quantities of weed.

A quick survey revealed very few additional ladders and set me thinking about recovery from the water. A pontoon freeboard is around half a metre and (certainly for me) would be impossible to mount from the water especially if heavily clothed. Furthermore, the decking runs at right angles to the length thus affording no handholds. I did find some yellow rope loops sprinkled around presumably to hold onto in the hope that your shouts for assistance would be heard.

The few ladders I saw were on the finger pontoon feeders, highly visible from the pontoon and completely obscured from the water unless your good? fortune caused you to fall in where you could spot them.

Is there any legislation requiring marina operators to provide adequate means of escape and, if so, who defines "adequate".

I can't be the only one to "lose my footing" on return from a run ashore and that was from a taverna into warm and shallow water!

VicS

Visit site
Dont start any H&S stuff about marina pontoons.

The only safe way you can manage a pontoon is to have a railing all the way round with an access gate at each berth and for all users to wear lifejackets whenever on the pontoon.

KevO

Visit site
Been there done that, at night, in full oilies (but no LJ), in Troon Marina, in January!! After 10 mins I was really starting to think I was gonna give up the ghost!!! Then managed to get a knee over a slightly slack spring line on a nearby boat and dragged myself out. :eek:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Dont start any H&S stuff about marina pontoons.

The only safe way you can manage a pontoon is to have a railing all the way round with an access gate at each berth and for all users to wear lifejackets whenever on the pontoon.

Health and Safety (i.e. HSE defined) applies only to health and safety at work (I've asked).

Leighb

Visit site
After several persons - including me :eek: - fell into our Club marina at night we had a serious look at our arrangements.

We now have ladders midway in each bay to allow for escape. The important thing is that they should extend far enough below water for it to be possible to get a foot on the lowest rung. Some in other marinas are far too short.

rob2

Visit site
The essence of H&S as defined in the ISO1800(IIRC) standard is a commonsense approach to risk. As there is now a history of drownings in marinas, the management should include the risk in their assessment and ladders will become the norm. Meantime a berth holders' association is likely to have more clout!

Rob.

westhinder

Visit site
Note to self: attach a short line to the stern ladder so that it can be lowered by someone in the water. You never know.

KevO

Visit site
After several persons - including me :eek: - fell into our Club marina at night we had a serious look at our arrangements.

We now have ladders midway in each bay to allow for escape. The important thing is that they should extend far enough below water for it to be possible to get a foot on the lowest rung. Some in other marinas are far too short.[/QUOTE]

That is spot on... I had lots of lines about on nearby boats but nothing I could get a leg over to push up on!

prr

Visit site
Dont rely on a marina for safety

Been there done that, at night, in full oilies (but no LJ), in Troon Marina, in January!! After 10 mins I was really starting to think I was gonna give up the ghost!!! Then managed to get a knee over a slightly slack spring line on a nearby boat and dragged myself out. :eek:

Ask Father Cristmas for a Water-proof H/H VHF. Then you could keep it in your pocket. while messing about in your boat.

robinwr

Visit site
In Bangor there are ladders in some but not all berths - not sure of the facts but apparently there was a fatality here when someone fell in and couldn't get out. Another man slipped on a fozen finger and fell in but was lucky enough to be rescued by the only other person in the marina that day. My guys all know where the ladders are in relation to our berth but I also continue the habit which I exercise on our mooring in Strangford - we always put the swim ladder down when we're on board and not under way.

prr

Visit site
Dont rely on others for your safty

Get a Water proof H/H & keep it in your pocket... For ****s sake!

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Is there any legislation requiring marina operators to provide adequate means of escape and, if so, who defines "adequate".

TYHA (The Yacht Harbour Association) which is a Trade Association within the BMF have a defined Code of Practice for Design, Construction and Operation of Marinas. On the subject of ladders it says there should be one per 30 berths.

It no ladder is visible, the best thing in an emergency is to get onto any boat you can!!

The local council are the statutory body who ensure Health and Safety is 'adequate' as a marina is defined as a leisure facility.