Marina Frozen Over

FullCircle

Visit site
River Roach was frozen at Rochford this morning.
I took Vinces tip and cleared all the snow off FC with an inflatable dinghy oar.
Water system was frozen solid, so no tea. Just a short visit then.
Went home and retired to bed feeling poxy with a cold.

beancounter

Visit site
Well...

..I'm really, really missing the trip down to the boat to do jobs in freezing conditions.
Swaddled up like the Michelin man in multiple fleeces.
Chipping ice off the hatchway to get in.
Retreating into the car/pub for hot coffee or soup.
Slipping on the ice and going base over apex with a buch of small components in hand that then disappear all over the yard.

Oh yes, I'm really missing it.

Honest - Beancounters honour.

Last edited:

Wunja

Visit site
..I'm really, really missing the trip down to the boat to do jobs in freezing conditions.
Swaddled up like the Michelin man in multiple fleeces.
Chipping ice off the hatchway to get in.
Retreating into the car/pub for hot coffee of soup.
Slipping on the ice and going base over apex with a buch of small components in hand that then disappear all over the yard.

Oh yes, I'm really missing it.

Honest - Beancounters honour.

Anyone need some help with anti-fouling? Looks like Mr Beancounter is missing it.

AliM

Visit site
Is it cold enough for the Friesland skating race to take place?

It's 60 km or more over canals in the north of the Netherlands between the major towns and villages there, but it's very rarely cold enough for it. It would have huge publicity in the NL if it was going to happen this year.

Wunja

Visit site
Elfstadtocht

Is it cold enough for the Friesland skating race to take place?

It's 60 km or more over canals in the north of the Netherlands between the major towns and villages there, but it's very rarely cold enough for it. It would have huge publicity in the NL if it was going to happen this year.

I think you are refering to the Elfstadtocht or Eleven Cities Race. This is a 200 km event!

It needs to have 10 days of frost where the weather is consistently below a certain temperture. There also needs to be at least 15cm of ice.

Not there yet, though people are being hopeful. This year the ice isn't very good for skating because of the snow that has fallen and then frozen.

AliM

Visit site
Yes that's the one. I read about it and wondered if this year's cold weather would be cold enough. If it does run, I don't suppose we'll hear about it here.

FullCircle

Visit site
Winter is over.

Winter is over - there is no ice on the River Roach as of this afternoons tide.

Just a quick cats lick and I will be back in the water by May.

Habebty

Visit site
Winter is over - there is no ice on the River Roach as of this afternoons tide.

Just a quick cats lick and I will be back in the water by May.

Don't you believe it, Mr *******i the Accuweather blogger says we are going to get it all again in Feb :(:(:(

Now thats interesting, the censormatic software on the forum deleted his name - b a s t a r d i

exfinnsailor

Visit site
Not only the Marina

It rained last night and it had frozen this morning .. I was woken up by someone who has never driven on ice before .. They had their foot down to the floor and the wheels spinning .. Went on for about 10 minutes so have to assume he had problems .. Was always told to use a higher gear 2nd or 3rd and slip the clutch as you move off .. If you get stuck .. 2nd gear and use the starter motor to wind it out ..

All that is fine but does not work on an Automatic :eek: .. Have found a button on the dash with a swerving car on it .. I now know that if a wheel starts to spin it puts the brake on to that wheel and therefore transfers drive to the other .. Seems to work .. :) .. Modern technology ..

Mind you the other week I got DOWN to the Ramsholt Pub but needed a pull by a 4x4 to get back UP again .. :eek: