Marina Electricity Fees

wonkywinch

Visit site
MDL Mercury Yacht Harbour just billed me for January - 25.66p plus 5% per kwHr and £1 a week (inc VAT) admin fee. It's cheaper than I pay at home (27.41 plus VAT and £4 week standing charge with Ovo). I might run an extension lead from the marina. Anyone got a mile of 100A cable to spare?

V1701

Visit site
We're on IIRC 34p/kwh for the next 3 years I think they said (Premier). Certainly nowhere near £1/kwh, that's daylight robbery. I think it might also be against the law because as a reseller they're not allowed to charge you more than what they pay, assuming they're not paying £1/kwh...

wonkywinch

Visit site
We're on IIRC 34p/kwh for the next 3 years I think they said (Premier). Certainly nowhere near £1/kwh, that's daylight robbery. I think it might also be against the law because as a reseller they're not allowed to charge you more than what they pay, assuming they're not paying £1/kwh...
I believe this consumer law doesn't apply to the business transaction at a marina.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I believe this consumer law doesn't apply to the business transaction at a marina.

Don't know about the UK consumer laws but outs apply to transactions between suppliers of goods or services and private consumers and small businesses.

It normally revolves around fair trading practices, terms and conditions and fair pricing.

Fair Trading Act 1973 in the UK a amended

MikeBz

Visit site
On the hard standing at Titchmarsh (Essex) it's 40p per kWh. No standing charge - it's a free-for-all to find an empty socket and you have to preload the meter with cards that you purchase from the office, and then hope nobody swaps plugs when you are not there (hasn't happened to me yet).

Alicatt

Visit site
We are on €0.50(£0.42) per kWh for the first 1000kWh then €0.40(£0.34) per kWh there after for a 16A connection
For visitors it is €4 per day + €0.50 per kWh

My physical connection is secured and padlocked, though it can be switched off at the meter/breaker panel which is about 3m from my boat, and the harbour master has a key for all connections.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
D
Business electric rates from 1 Oct are £21.1p per KWhr. ex vat. Vat is at 20% that makes 25.32/KWhr. Marinas are allowed to add service charge to those rates. Hope the marinas will be transparent, So 42p/KWhr sounds like a big service charge.

David MH
Do you really mean that? £25 v 47p.
Wandering decimal point?
There are two contributions to charges;- daily standing charge and kWhr.
My supplier went from 60p to £6 for the standing charge. I switched sharpish.

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
Business electric rates from 1 Oct are £21.1p per KWhr. ex vat. Vat is at 20% that makes 25.32/KWhr. Marinas are allowed to add service charge to those rates. Hope the marinas will be transparent, So 42p/KWhr sounds like a big service charge.

David MH
My bills show 5% VAT on the leccy, 20% on the service charge.

Stemar

Visit site
On the hard standing at Titchmarsh (Essex) it's 40p per kWh. No standing charge - it's a free-for-all to find an empty socket and you have to preload the meter with cards that you purchase from the office, and then hope nobody swaps plugs when you are not there (hasn't happened to me yet).
Our club has just installed a similar system for the pontoon and scrubbing grids. I don't know what the cost per KWH will be, but I do know the system wasn't cheap.

I'll bet there won't be so many cables snaking down the pontoon now...

rogerthebodger

Visit site

What do you understand is a business transaction at a marina.

If that is to another business that is correct but its its to a private consumer (person) may be the consumer law will apply

wonkywinch

Visit site
anybody know of an alternative (cheaper!) source of a 'metermaid' ?
Make your own.

KwHr meter £13.95 - Din Rail KWH Energy Meter 5 (32) Amp 240v Electric Credit Analogue *UK Seller* | eBay
Waterproof DIN box £9.95 - DIN Rail Enclosure IP65 Box Weatherproof Consumer Units Switches 2 Module *UK* | eBay
Pair of 16A commando connectors £9.99 - 16A 3 Pin Industrial Site Caravan Plug Connector IP44 230v male + female pair 6H | eBay

Add a short length of cable and perhaps a couple of glands and you're sorted for less than £50. I bought a reel of outdoor cable and made up a selection of leads for the boat, one that fits home base, an extension to go over the bow, a 16A to 32A adaptor lead etc.

Daverw

Visit site
We are at. 29ppkwh which seems fair, loaded up on line account, if someone unplugs to try and use our power the supply goes off and needs to be switch on again via our online dashboard. Each berth has its own supply

lustyd

Visit site
Ours is 27p/kwh and doesn’t seem to be any additional charges. Also metered at source and cuts if unplugged. Not sure I’d want a short meter cable that someone could connect their boat to, seems open to abuse especially with overly high costs.