Marina cost up in Turkey

catmandoo

The Earth but normally in the place of the high st
Visit site
General impression I have got from talking to others renewing their contracts is that marina prices in South Turkey have gone up this year in the order of 30% with prices dearer in the west and that if the winter is spent on the hard then the overall price makes Turkey not a desirable place any more . A lot of people have moved but to where ?

Is there any where cheaper ?

Appleyard

Visit site
I don't suppose that Turkey is insulated from the economic woes any more than the other med. countries,but they are probably taking advantage of the situation and raising their prices to match their neighbours as one might expect.
You have to put everything into perspective,sailing has never been the cheapest game ,and we have been lucky till now that places like Turkey,Greece etc have been more affordable than say the south coast of the UK.
Add to that the almost guaranteed good sailing weather every day,and beautiful surroundings. It's only money after all. No where is cheap nowadays.

( I was in Baxter's along the road from you last Friday for a snack.....Now that is what you call expensive!!)

catmandoo

Visit site
Marina costs up in turkey

Well As with Baxter's there are places that are much cheaper for those in the know .For instance you could go to the Parish church hall in the High Street for a good snack and lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays for a good price - SWMBO makes really good scones .
Similar situation at Bankfoot near Stanley just outside Perth

As for Turkey then several boats have found a spot in Bozborran harbour tucked in just to the left of the entrance coming in however you need to have the right contacts with the local council

i also found that in Kechi Buku the guy that owns the jetty where Moorings used to have their base has now got a marina license and plans to up grade with a bigger jetty and road plus hard to compete with Marti but its doubtful if that will get underway next year despite Sunsail moving in; and some locals have doubts about him being allowed to build a road across the shallows

Also in looking for a place to locate you also have to take how you get there into account particularly in the winter when the airline bucket shops charge ridiculous flights with several stops to get there to do maintenance .

so where is the ideal place ?

Last edited:

catmandoo

Visit site
There's a link to Kalamata marina on the South Peloponese page of my site. email them to ask for next year's prices (he's only posting this year at the moment) then add 23% VAT and you can make a direct comparison. It'll be interesting to hear your conclusions.

Yes Jim I was thinking of that direction particularly from the point of view of flights but it must be a long haul by road . i remember 7 hours Athens airport to Preveza by bus .

Ill do as you suggest though

satsuma

Visit site
As far as I am aware the marinas on the south coast (Med) are fairly static on price and probably quite cheap by any comparison!

Alanya which is new, is quoting 1250 euros for 30msq for the year, including vat.
As a direct comparison for 30msq, Antalya is 2250 euros including vat.
Kemer is somewhere in between (can't get the website to work) at around 1800 euros (I asked about 6 months ago)

All of these are easily accessed throughout the year by direct flights to Antalya from the UK (there is a new airport due to open nearer Alanya). If these flights are full or too expensive it is also easily accessed with flights via Istanbul (both Ataturk and Sabiha Gokcen) again year round. In the winter I think there are something like 8-12 flights a day from Istanbul to Antalya and the same return.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Yes Jim I was thinking of that direction particularly from the point of view of flights but it must be a long haul by road . i remember 7 hours Athens airport to Preveza by bus .
  • ATH to Kifissou, frequent buses, 1 hour
  • Kifissou to Kalamata, 12 buses a day from 0600; 3hr 30 or 3hr for expresses.
  • Kalamata bus stn to Marina, 2km
Total, including connection times, 5hr 30min. Cost €26, plus taxi or shoe leather . . .

catmandoo

Visit site
Just got Kalamata price list for april 2012 to end march 2013. for a catamaran 34 sq m including VAT in the water 2825 euros. but 17% discount if full price is paid up front .

travel lift 399 euros in and out

In low season Oct to March pay extra 30% only if onshore for more than 3 months

Similar prices this year April 2012 to end March 2013 for same size of boat

finike 2065
kas 2190
d marin 2595
marti 2652
netsel 3041
leros 1726.

They are roughly about same magnitude . Where Kalamata scores is the 3 months at no increase on the hard -ie you only pay for the lifting etc .

The biggest hike particularly with Marti is the high winter storage supplement . A 12 m yacht was charged well over 4200 euros 6months in and 6 months out

However my main concern is getting there 4 to 5 trips to and from Turkey for 2 people from Scotland amount to as much as the yearly mooring cost . I subconsciously remember the days when the Ryan air cost to Sardina was 90 p plus taxes etc so i am a little biased even when I know that air flights are more expensive these days

As for Alanya and Finike - nice marinas if you want to live there full time and have an airport nearby with flights available all year round ( subsidised by the golfing community) but a bit of a slog if you want to go anywhere .

I suppose I can't have it all my way

However I am still looking for the ideal marina with summer heat of course

affinite

Visit site
It cant be ... can it ?

I'm just pondering moving our boat from Greece to Turkey for a change of scene and thought Id compare marina prices in Kos with those in Bodrum.
I've not contacted either to ask about haul out charges / on the hard charges etc I've simply used their web price lists to compare the cost of a 365 day contract in each.

KOS - LOA 13m x 365 days Euro 3267
Bodrum - LOA 13m x Beam 4.2m x 365 days Euro 7665

I've posted a berthing enquiry to Bodrum Marina but it cant be twice as expensive can it - I must be doing something wrong ??

LauraKatie

Visit site
Have you thought of Karpaz Gate Marina ...Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

I am en route from Glasgow, currently in Portugal aim to get there some time next year.

Cheaper than Turkey and Greece though access is only via Turkey or from the Republic of Cyprus.

affinite

Visit site
One day

Id like to go there in due course but, given the prevailing winds I want to take some time to explore the Med coast of Turkey first. Im just alarmed at the cost of berthing there.

catmandoo

Visit site
I'm just pondering moving our boat from Greece to Turkey for a change of scene and thought Id compare marina prices in Kos with those in Bodrum.
I've not contacted either to ask about haul out charges / on the hard charges etc I've simply used their web price lists to compare the cost of a 365 day contract in each.

KOS - LOA 13m x 365 days Euro 3267
Bodrum - LOA 13m x Beam 4.2m x 365 days Euro 7665

I've posted a berthing enquiry to Bodrum Marina but it cant be twice as expensive can it - I must be doing something wrong ??

Not surprised you got that silly price from Bodrum . I got something similar last year higher than I got from Yat marin in Marmaris from whom I got two two quotes by stating my enquiries differently .
On on quoting length and beam only, quote was about 2300 euros . when I said on the second enquiry it was a catamaran they doubled the price

recent quote from Marti marina for 2012 for a year in the water for a 34 sq m catamaran is 2800 euros plus 500 euros for 6 months on hard and 408 euros lift out/in

catmandoo

Visit site
Have you thought of Karpaz Gate Marina ...Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

I am en route from Glasgow, currently in Portugal aim to get there some time next year.

Cheaper than Turkey and Greece though access is only via Turkey or from the Republic of Cyprus.

Consider what you can do against what you want to do when you get there .
Also heard some one was electrocuted on one of the pontoons on one of the marinas there

Dig

Visit site
Seems the prices at Y Marina have gone up a lot,i was a bit shocked how much .we payed 6875 TL last year and it has now gone up to 10780 TL ,we are going to look around at other places,as all this Talk about the Blue card is also a worry.

tonybannister

Visit site
I am in Cesme marina and find the cost reasonable. Do get a quote from Didim though. A very good marina but empty as the nearby town of Altinkum puts people off. Since they are trying to fill the empty spaces good deals are being offered. An unbeatable location for cruising start point too. As the nearby town of Altinkum is a bit like Benidorm there is lots of competition that brings prices down.