Marina Atlantic coast North Spain

MAURICE

Visit site
Hi any recommendations on a marina for the Atlantic coast of Spain from Portugal up to France. Would like to leave my boat there for a year on way back from the Med. a Moody 44
Thanks Maurice

Wansworth

Visit site
An Irishman used to leave his boat in Cangas in the Ria deVigo,if Iget a boat will look for a berth there,sheltered access to ferry to Vigo and airport

serendipity66

Visit site
Left my boat over winter in Vigo, sport marina, when moving her from UK to the Med.
She was left on the hard over winter, and put back in the water prior to my arrival.
Good service, nice marina. Would do it again.
Because the marina is a long walk from Vigo itself, I rented a car from the airport while there.

Sailfree

Visit site
I have my 43' in Nazare. Cost is circa €1600pa and currently includes free electricity, water and parking. It's a 24/7 access port and boats are directed there in gales. We have also lived aboard for some 15months while new house was being built.

We chose Nazare as Silver Coast climate is good ( few degrees cooler than Algarve) and enough rain to be green! Tried Porto but much colder and wetter in winter.

Should add that primary reason to choose Nazare was the climate and cheaper cost of living. Both were major factors add the number of Portuguese that are happy speaking English (even most supermarket check out staff) and the general friendliness of the Portuguse all help.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I'm just back from a road trip to Spain that included several days in Galicia.
Being a road trip, I obviously didn't experience any marina, but we drove around most of them if not all, and my vote has to be for Sanxenxo.
Where there are actually two marinas within a couple of kms, but both pretty nice.

V1701

Visit site
I have my 43' in Nazare. Cost is circa €1600pa and currently includes electricity. It's a 24/7 access port and boats are directed there in gales. We have also lived aboard for some 15months while new house was being built.

We chose Nazare as Silver Coast climate is good ( few degrees cooler than Algarve) and enough rain to be green! Tried Porto but much colder and wetter in winter.

Should add that primary reason for here was to live with the climate and cheaper cost of living being the major factors.
Christ on a bike that's the stuff of dreams...

In the lovely & wonderful UK I'm currently paying £5.5k p.a. for an "extended use" contract on a 34', electric just went up to 42p/unit...

Before the end of the B word transition period I had a 26' boat in Leixoes Marina near Porto (Portugal), that was just over 1000 Euros pa...

Sailfree

Visit site
Christ on a bike that's the stuff of dreams...

In the lovely & wonderful UK I'm currently paying £5.5k p.a. for an "extended use" contract on a 34', electric just went up to 42p/unit...

Before the end of the B word transition period I had a 26' boat in Leixoes Marina near Porto (Portugal), that was just over 1000 Euros pa...

Don't want to mislead people - it cheap as an annual berth but not so cheap as a visitor.

When I enquired IIRC in 2017 and said I would not sail the boat down until late September, they worked out the price and it was cheaper to pay for 1yr from the January than the few months as a visitor from September.

I paid £11,600pa plus electric in 2013 at Hamble Point Marina. Guess why I like it here :cool:

Last edited:

MAURICE

Visit site
I think i might try Nazare.
How do you get back and forth is it Lisbon airport? hour and half by car

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
From Lisbon Airport there is a direct ("yelloow"?) bus service to Sete Rio coach station. From Sete Rio its about €11 by coach (similar to UK National Express) to Nazare centre. Roughly an hourly service 7 days a week - journey takes about 85min. About 15min walk to marina from town centre. Taxis are cheap here if lots of luggage. If you can pick your dates of travel its about £35 London to Lisbon, unfortunately Ryanair Bournemouth to Lisbon for £5.99 are no more - not economic - no surprise there!

Since pandemic car hire has got substantially dearer mostly due to shortage of new replacement cars as hire companies regularly replace cars!

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
I looked into this in 2019. Cheapest was Muxia but hard to get to without a car. Most of the Ria marinas were the same price. Vigo gave access to an indoor pool and gym if you like that sort of thing. I liked Villagarcia de Arousa, 10 mins walk from train station and well sheltered. Ended up in Povoa Varzim which I wouldn't recommend, not least because of the rat problem, but handy for Porto airport.

Other threads that may be of interest