marina and berthing fees

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Dig a pyramidical hole, pour in a little concrete, pop the engine blocks in, then fill with concrete.

Ballasted concrete in a good shape for a sinker. What's not to like?

Don't forget to put a gert great lump of bent iron bar in to clip the chain to mind, or you could feel very silly...

jwilson

Visit site
How about a concrete block cast into an old tire? I think you might want some old bits of steel in the concrete to reinforce it.
Concrete is not nearly as heavy as you think underwater. SG typically about 2.4 which means it effectively only "weighs" about 60% as much when immersed. Iron at about 8 is much better, only effectively loses about 12% of it's weight. Maybe aun uscientific illustartion but true. If you use concrete you need remarkably large blocks.

I don't think anyone is suggesting putting complete engines full of oil into the water. The cylinder block of a larger engine is commonly used: heavy chain through one cylinder to give something to attach to. Big iron train wheels are near ideal - if you can get a couple.

NormanS

Visit site
Concrete is not nearly as heavy as you think underwater. SG typically about 2.4 which means it effectively only "weighs" about 60% as much when immersed. Iron at about 8 is much better, only effectively loses about 12% of it's weight. Maybe aun uscientific illustartion but true. If you use concrete you need remarkably large blocks.

I don't think anyone is suggesting putting complete engines full of oil into the water. The cylinder block of a larger engine is commonly used: heavy chain through one cylinder to give something to attach to. Big iron train wheels are near ideal - if you can get a couple.

Things have moved on a bit it the last 2000 years. Anchors have been invented. :rolleyes:

Poignard

Visit site
If £146/month is the most expensive you found, think yourself lucky you don't live on the south coast!

Hamble Point for example would be £380/month for 24 feet .. and they are by no means the most expensive!

A smug git writes:

£108/month for a 28-footer dry-sailing in beautiful Southern Brittany, which includes 10 lifts in/out a year, membership of Passeport Escales, 20 free days in the nearest marina per year (with free electricity), free admission to the local chateau, and a free ride on le petit train.

This leaves plenty for some comfortable ferry crossings and a good dinner on the way (as long as it's not on Brittany Ferries 'Entretat'! :disgust:)

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

maby

Visit site
If £146/month is the most expensive you found, think yourself lucky you don't live on the south coast!

Hamble Point for example would be £380/month for 24 feet .. and they are by no means the most expensive!

I was about to post something similar - I'll be paying close to £1000 per month for a moderate size hole in the water on the Hamble next year!

Phildorset

Visit site
A smug git writes:

£108/month for a 28-footer dry-sailing in beautiful Southern Brittany, which includes 10 lifts in/out a year, membership of Passeport Escales, 20 free days in the nearest marina per year (with free electricity), free admission to the local chateau, and a free ride on le petit train.

This leaves plenty for some comfortable ferry crossings and a good dinner on the way (as long as it's not on Brittany Ferries 'Entretat'! :disgust:)

:rolleyes:

now this sounds very inviting... may I ask where? I rather fancy doing the same for a few years.
please feel free to pm me if you prefer.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
now this sounds very inviting... may I ask where? I rather fancy doing the same for a few years.
please feel free to pm me if you prefer.

Sounds a bit expensive to me. I paid €1,500 for a mooring 12 years ago and have since spent around €500 for new chain, riser and swivels so, €2,000 total over 12 years:) Air fares do add a bit to travel costs but worth it.

Sneaky Pete

Visit site
My mooring is a train wheel buried about 4'.I've no fears of it going anywhere.:disgust:
Probably from a South Western Railways train they don't go anywhere either.
Wheels in pairs are great holding also anchor mushrooms. Why is there a need to bury then. Our moorings are lifted inspected lower onto sea bed and dragged until max resistance.

seaangler23

Visit site
Buy a couple of old large cqr’s and use them, plenty around with people upgrading (touchy subject on here) will be more than enough for a 24ft bot