Mantus dinghy anchor

Yngmar

Visit site
A Grapnel type, because it's small when folded and has no pointy bits to bite you in the ankle. The Mantus surely has superior holding power, but the dinghy doesn't need that, and I really don't see myself assembling an anchor when I want to use it.

The IKEA bag is also popular and smaller and lighter than both. But again, too much assembly required.

noelex

Visit site
I use a small Guardian anchor (the simpler version of the Fortress). It is light, with good holding power in the right substrate providing there is constant direction of pull (which is usually the case with a dinghy anchor).

The main drawbacks are that it will not work in weed, and that it is reasonably bulky (but stores flat). It is also slightly awkward to handle, as the pivoting mechanism has a tendency to bite fingers

GHA

Visit site
The Mantus surely has superior holding power, but the dinghy doesn't need that,

How do you keep the dinghy pulled back out from the shore/dock with next to no holding?
I've an ancient little danforth which can take a load of goes to get it to set before getting ashoe then pulling the dinghy back out into clear water. The mantus does look good , spring loaded bolt so no time at all to assemble. Big downside is it looks very nickable.... and the price :)

Yngmar

Visit site
How do you keep the dinghy pulled back out from the shore/dock with next to no holding?

The Grapnel seems to cope okay with that so far in mud/rock/harbour-slime (it's actually very good in rock). We do have a short bit of chain on it, which probably helps absorb shock-loads from passing wake. Haven't tried it in sand yet, as if there's a beach we just drag the dinghy up there.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I have a small (probably the smallest existing) flat anchor, danforth-like: I was very surprised by the amount of holding power it has, given a decent scope, if I pull the rope while standing with the feet on the sea bottom, there is no way I can pull it out until almost vertical or very very small scope. I'd say impossible for my rib to exert such a force, maybe if it went flying in 100kt winds in the middle of a hurricane, where it would be the least of my worries :)

Zing

Visit site
Hi All, what type of anchor do you use for your RIB dinghy. I have been looking at a video of the Mantus dinghy anchor. It stacks as a flat pack. A nice piece of kit but pricey.
RPP
I’ve got a couple. I retired my danforth and fold up anchor as they are much better.

RupertW

Visit site
Grapnel works well for me but like the idea of a second little anchor for the beach in case there are no rocks or trees to tie to. Would probably go for flat danforth type for the beach anchor as I don't like the idea of anything pointing up from the sand.

Neeves

Visit site
I'd check with Lewmar and see how much and when their new alloy fluke, Fortress look alike, will be on the shelves.

I'd guess it will be made in China and if it is as good as it looks and with Lewmar's unequaled global reach will show up the dangers of the 'America First' concept.

But Fortress/Guardian I believe come up on eBay regularly - worth a watching brief.

Jonathan

geem

Visit site
We use a grapnel but on standard line I found it would drag easily if there was any swell on the beach. You can add some chain but then the whole dinghy anchor things becomes more of a pain to deal with. We now have a purpose made leaded line. The first 10 ft or so has lead inside the rope then the rest of the line in normal braided rope. The grapnel doesn't drag any more and the whole lot is super easy to deploy and stow in its own bag