Malta

fliti

Visit site
Vic and Chinita, thank you very much for this wealth of information. Breezer will make good use if it this summer!

chinita

Visit site
If you are in the mood, take the bus from Mgarr to Gharb and visit the ta' Pinu church. It is the one with all kinds of relics and donations from those who claim to have been healed through the power of prayer. A bit spooky, but interesting.

One if the things we enjoyed was being on Gozo over Christmas. Not a bit of hype, just church bells.

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
I live in Malta and I know of at least one British registered liveaboard who spends his winter here anchored in local bays. So no rats, roaches or marina troubles. Seems very doable. It does get windy here every now and then, but there's always a sheltered bay nearby.

Hi Overstag,

Do you have any details of this person? I'd be keen to chat to them, are they a forum member do you know?

We're planning something similar. There are many anchorages around Malta, and it seems that if you keep an eye on the weather (which I'm sure we all do anyway) then there is always a well sheltered place.

I was watching the webcams around the island in the high winds earlier in the week that brought down the Azure Window - the west side was taking a hammering, while in the bays south of the Grand Harbour, and in Marsaxlokk it seemed really calm.

There's a great resource on the anchorages around Malta here for those interested:

http://www.maritimedirectory.com.mt/cruising.asp

Cheers

SV Kittiwake

Sailingkittiwake.com

overstag

Visit site
No, I see him in Spinola Bay every now and then and I chatted with him on the bus once.
But as you say, there are always places within two hours sailing where you can find shelter. Often much closer.
Even within the Grand Harbour or Marsamxetta creek you can anchor without the authorities bothering you.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No, I see him in Spinola Bay every now and then and I chatted with him on the bus once.
But as you say, there are always places within two hours sailing where you can find shelter. Often much closer.
Even within the Grand Harbour or Marsamxetta creek you can anchor without the authorities bothering you.

I think you have problem anchoring in Marsamxett creek , to the right of Manuel island , Sliema water front , its all fouled I wouldn't want to anchor there unless I willing to lose my anchor , all the mooring buoys that any good belong to CM and they might let you stay a few hours but if there any weather they want to put their tour boats on them , the big yellow ones belong to the yacht yard and they will move you off as soon as they see you .
To the Port of Manuel island , where we use to anchor is now taken over by Rolland Marina , at one time you could had gone into pieta and found a spot then , but now there working on the new Marina so there no way now , everywhere else it's very deep and open to the swell , the only possible place may be just off the royal Malta yacht club on the corner there a shollow spot depending on what your draft .

Last edited:

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
Vic,

Thanks for all this info, it's exactly what I've been trying to find out for months! What about anchoring to the south of Valletta, like in Rinella Bay, or off the north side / Valletta Waterfront area?

Cheers

SV Kittiwake

Sailingkittiwake.com

multihullsailor6

Visit site
the only possible place may be just off the royal Malta yacht club on the corner there a shollow spot depending on what your draft .
The water between the RMYC and the Roland Marina is very deep ( 15 - 20m ) with a shallow patch. But beware: A number of times I have anchored over the shallow patch ( 10 m ) close to the Waterpolo restaurant and on the last time my anchor burried itself in a sunken wooden fishing vessel down there. I needed a diver to retrieve the anchor!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic,

Thanks for all this info, it's exactly what I've been trying to find out for months! What about anchoring to the south of Valletta, like in Rinella Bay, or off the north side / Valletta Waterfront area?

Cheers

SV Kittiwake

Sailingkittiwake.com

Rinella bay is fine although now and then a ship comes in to unload but no big deal , right at the end of the bay by the sea scout there a wall you maybe able to go side on , but I not tryed it .
Valletta water front , again ships come to unload there , plus you have the Sicily ferry passing and cruises ships , I Think you be pushing your luck there .

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I went to another kid's birthday party on HMS Defender. I think his dad was Flag Officer Malta.

We were all under 10 years old, but collectively managed to fire more rounds from every type of weapon on board in day than some people I know fired in their entire 25+ year careers.
I think Defender was off for a major refit shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
Yeah, I'd spotted that wall, although it seems buoyed for swimming in the summer, think they disappear out of season?

Cheers again for the info.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
I live in Malta /QUOTE]

I just wonder if you can help? I'm trying to source some araldite epoxy adhesive 2011, precision, blue/white tubes or syringes. I'm struggling to find the right sort of DIY or boaty shop on the internet. Do you know of a well stocked DIY shop or chandlery that might stoc this sort of thing?

Thanks

Neil

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I live in Malta /QUOTE]

I just wonder if you can help? I'm trying to source some araldite epoxy adhesive 2011, precision, blue/white tubes or syringes. I'm struggling to find the right sort of DIY or boaty shop on the internet. Do you know of a well stocked DIY shop or chandlery that might stoc this sort of thing?

Thanks

Neil
Neil if your talking about Malta , have you tried Gauci Borda almost opposite Manuel Island , they have a good stock of everything .
I know they have two pack epoxy in tubes .
Other then that I seen it in Homemate (Malta B&Q )