Mallorca - which port to take a day charter from?

stewart

Visit site
Hi,

I'm chartering a small power boat in July in Mallorca. I know the north east of the island well and all the great places to go to (used to keep my 46' Sunseeker there). This year though it'll just be a day on a small charter boat, say 7 or 8m. There's a lot more choice of vessels if I charter from Palma than say Pollensa but is the sailing as good? I'm looking for nice bays, clear water and no more than 20 miles from Palma. Any suggestions or should I charter from Andratx or Cala Ratjada or Porto Colom?

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Thanks

Stewart

MedMilo

Visit site
Endless options of course! I would be inclined to pick the place and boat you want and you'll be pretty well guaranteed to have a few good cruising options within your 20 mile range. From Palma you could head 7/8 miles to Portals Vells/Cala Figuera which is great, but v busy in July. Personally, from Palma I'd head straight to Sa Rapita/Es Trenc, which is about 20nm away and is a simply fantastic place to spend a day or two - you should certainly stop en route at Cala Pi. Another alternative from Palma would be to head out to the Cabrera Marine Reserve - nearer to 25nm I think - but seriously beautiful and lots of islands to explore (get the charter co. to book you a buoy for the day). Equally good options from Andratx, Cala Ratjada or Porto Colom too though!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I kept my boat in Palma for 5 yrs until 2009. On balance, I would charter out of Palma rather than anywhere else because Palma Bay is relatively sheltered and there is a choice of anchorages to visit depending on wind direction. About 5nm west of Palma are the 2 anchorages at Illetes which will provide shelter from both W and E winds. Going further round there is the big bay off Palma Nova which is sheltered from all but E winds but the water is not particularly clear. Going south, there is the attractive anchorage at Portals Vells. It is v sheltered from all but E winds and there are a couple of nice beach bar/restaurants but it is v popular and subject to swell from passing boats. This would be a good anchorage for a 7-8m boat as you could squeeze into shallower water where the bigger boats can't go. On the E side of Palma Bay (the Arenal side), there are no anchorages until you get round the headland to Cala Pi which would be another excellent choice for a smaller boat as it is relatively narrow which keeps the bigger boats away. As MedMilo says there is a good anchorage at Rapita but it is quite an open anchorage and subject to swell from passing boats which might be an issue for a smaller boat. Cabrera is worth visiting but it's a fair way further and you need a prebooked permit to visit.
If you don't fancy Palma, then I would choose Andraitx because that coast is very scenic. You can go north a couple of nm from Andraitx to the excellent anchorage at Telmo or if you're feeling intrepid go further north to Soller and have lunch. South from Andraitx there are a number of good anchorages including Peguera and Santa Ponsa, the latter which is v sheltered from all directions except NW

stewart

Visit site
Thanks for the reply - very helpful. Although, in true boating style I've decided to go larger to 37' and spend much more than I intended!!! Is Cala Pi still ok for a 37'?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Is Cala Pi still ok for a 37'?

Yes no problem but it depends on how busy it is. It tends to be a regular stop on the charter circuit so get there late morning. Portals Vells is a larger anchorage and you can usually squeeze in there somewhere

MedMilo

Visit site
With a 37ft boat in Cala Pi you might need to drop the anchor and get a stern line to the rocks to hold you in position. That way you end up with your own 'private' rock pool off your swim platform.

Are you just having the boat for a day...or a couple of days? If it's a couple then you could...
Morning Day 1 - Cala Pi
Afternoon Day 1 - Sa Rapita/Es Trenc
Overnight - Cabrera (buoy)
Morning Day 2 - Cabrera
Afternoon Day 2 - Portals Vells

Now, if you could take it for a week.....

stewart

Visit site
Now that is a tempting suggestion but just one day this trip...although there is always September...

The first week on my first boat I went round Mallorca and over to Ibiza. Now that was a good introduction...

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I too am in Majorca late august, I was going to place a post nearer the time of our holiday asking the same question, I'm just looking for a days cruise from Calais dor as that's where we are staying for a week, any takers ?

DougH

Visit site
I too am in Majorca late august, I was going to place a post nearer the time of our holiday asking the same question, I'm just looking for a days cruise from Calais dor as that's where we are staying for a week, any takers ?

Paul,

How many will there be in your party?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Paul,

How many will there be in your party?

Well that's a difficult question as there are four families actually staying in the same hotel, were just on a cheapie all Inc holiday so that were at least guaranteed some summer sun this year, I wouldn't invite all the others as some have young children who would not want to pay those kind of costs for a day out, however myself, wife and stepson would have been happy to have joined a day charter on a motorboat, I have been on a day charter on a yacht from Porto colom , think it was about 9 years ago.

We used to have a his tar 42 in arenal in 1997 for 2 years so have boated on the island before.

I'd be interested to hear your proposal doug, thanks.