Maintaining teak faced ply

CalicoJack

Visit site
Our cabin is lined with teak faced ply which previously I have treated with teak oil when it has looked a little dry and tired. I have been advised that this is not a good idea as the oil might affect the glue in the ply. Has anyone a better idea of what to use, or have I been misled?

Thanks for the advice.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I cannot advise you on what finish you want to achieve but I can tell you that I have been rebuilding antique and modern pianos
for many decades. Virtually all are veneered with mahogany, rosewood, teak, walnut etc etc. I strip the old finish with strong chemical stripper,
clean with meths, stain with coloured oil (generally) and finish with shellac and sometimes beeswax. I have never had anything affect the various
glues used on the veneer. I have also finished with teak/danish oil.
Just my experience.

Plum

Visit site
Our cabin is lined with teak faced ply which previously I have treated with teak oil when it has looked a little dry and tired. I have been advised that this is not a good idea as the oil might affect the glue in the ply. Has anyone a better idea of what to use, or have I been misled?

Thanks for the advice.
If you like the finish obtained with teak oil then keeep using it. It does not affect the glue (in my experience)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk