Mah Jong on the Caledonian Canal

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I entirely agree with DDB's sentiment here, and reckon that owning a boat which is as gorgeous, as I feel this one is, is entirely subjective. My boat isn't anything like as grand as Mah-Jong, but being an old fashioned wooden boat, she really does look good (at 1st glance from 5m. away).
This is the point of a lot of the discomfort that I endure, it's because of ego and being noticable. Any old BenJenBav is going to be a far better boat to own, but like an old Morgan in a car park, she'll draw attention and make it worthwhile to my shallowness.
A Mondeo is a wonderful car, but won't draw a 2nd glance.
I hate being as cold & wet on my boat during a Scottish summer as I get, but I wouldn't change it for something more ubiquitous, as I've bought into the other side of it as well, where I realise that the boat's looking great, and I'll soon be warm & dry, cradling a dram.
That's me though, and as DDB says, most don't realise how awful it is once the rose tinted stuff's off.
ADHD helps of course.
Hear! Hear!
What’s your boat, @JamieN?
I sold my wooden boat 2 years ago after 17 years of ownership and I SWORE that I would never, never have a wooden boat again.
But now I’m looking and all the headroom and marina manoeuvrability and hoseable down finish leaves me cold and dead. Is that all there is?

DownWest

Visit site
Owning any boat that is not a working boat is illogical. So, why not own one that captures your soul? The shear line alone grabs the attention, sublime..
It all depends on taste, and spare cash. That some choose to keep these classics in good condition gives everybody a boost.

Bit like the guy who was interviewed. Well off (to put it mildly) and had a Nic 32. The journo asked why , with his wealth, he had such a modest boat. Answer' I realy like the Nic. I have one in each of the places I enjoy visiting.' (Think it was 7 or 8...)

jamie N

Visit site
Hear! Hear!
What’s your boat, @JamieN?
I sold my wooden boat 2 years ago after 17 years of ownership and I SWORE that I would never, never have a wooden boat again.
But now I’m looking and all the headroom and marina manoeuvrability and hoseable down finish leaves me cold and dead. Is that all there is?
East German Folkboat.
Stakkr in Cromarty.jpg

jamie N

Visit site
I saw Mah-Jong at Inverness marina this morning. A very lovely looking yacht, but slightly smaller than I'd envisaged. It wasn't on my pontoon; probably couldn't take the competition...:ROFLMAO:

dunedin

Visit site
I saw Mah-Jong at Inverness marina this morning. A very lovely looking yacht, but slightly smaller than I'd envisaged. It wasn't on my pontoon; probably couldn't take the competition...:ROFLMAO:
If you saw it at Inverness today, and the OP saw in the Canal last Friday, must be going Eastbound not Wrstbound as suggested further up.
I did see it twice on the West Coast a few weeks back - can’t exactly recall where, possibly Canna.
Sort of boat that is nice to look at from another more practical boat.

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site
If you saw it at Inverness today, and the OP saw in the Canal last Friday, must be going Eastbound not Wrstbound as suggested further up.
I did see it twice on the West Coast a few weeks back - can’t exactly recall where, possibly Canna.
Sort of boat that is nice to look at from another more practical boat.
@dunedin you're absolutely right, I had a 'brainfart' when I responded earlier. I saw him at the Banavie locks, having just entered, and so he was obviously going Eastbound, not West!

jwilson

Visit site
As I saw the first photo I knew she was a Cheoy Lee build. I wonder how many hidden bodges the lovely joinery concealed - hopefully all sorted by now. I know - I owned a smaller but also very pretty Cheoy Lee for many years. The bits you saw were lovely quality: hidden underneath was rubbish wood in places.