Maglite

noelex

Visit site
I eventually opted for the TK35 based on the beam patterns (as displayed side-by-side on a couple of Youtube reviews), lower price and better suitability for use as a torch for crew/dinghy (lighter and smaller).

Have to say that I am impressed with the quality and performance of the TK35, although the ergonomics of the switches seemed a bit strange at first - now got a technique sorted. Versatility is good with the variable output, plus the slab shape reduces the risk of it rolling about. Hopefully I will not need the SOS signalling facility nor the strobe although the latter is very effective as a defence weapon!

Good Choice,TK35 is probably the best choice for boat use at the moment. The only drawback is that it uses lithium batteries which require a special charger or reasonably expensive primary batteries, There are 12v charges that will charge the lithium 18650 batteries and this is a great solution, but educate yourself on the correct charging of these batteries as some of the lithium batteries can be dangerous if incorrectly charged.

Wunja

Visit site
I've just received my P7 based, purchased based on information in this thread. I have to say, I'm very impressed. I may be looking for one of the bicycle specific ones now!

Talulah

Visit site
Following this thread and after reading reviews and watching clips on Youtube I bought a Fenix TK40.
Purchased off ebay direct from Hong Kong.
I'm very impressed. If it wasn't for price I would be replacing all the Maglights.

Sailfree

Visit site
After reading this thread and needing torches for the charter boat/myself

Bought a P7 - off amazon very impressed IIRC £34. I am keeping this one for personal use

Bought twin pack of Techlite 3AAA from e bay about 40% as good as the P7 but only circa £12 each. If I can get the brackets I will replace all the 6 boat torches with these ordinary bulbs and D3 cells dont last long and art my cost to replace each time. Friend could not find them in Reading branch of Costco.

Ordered the Fenix TK50 off website Hong Kong based for £72 a bargain - if it turns up!! Need to decide if its too loosable / fall overboardable before deciding on leaving it on boat or replace with cheap floodlight.

Generally like to equip the boat to impress.

Last edited:

Talulah

Visit site
No excise duty on mine. Sender marked it with a low value and as a gift.
Quite a few HK sellers do this which is ok so long as we can get away with it.
I don't mind paying the duty it's the £13.50 fee that Parcel Force charge for handling the payment on your behalf.

Sailfree

Visit site
Fenix 40 has arrived.

300m range but its like a 2xD cell maglite in size so very small and removable from the charter boat.

Still thinking abouta makro cheapee!!