Maglite

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I borrowed one of the cops maglights and its way brighter than the same as i use....its a 2 dd cell one so what bulb do i get?

noelex

Visit site
Torches have improved dramatically since the Maglite.
There are LED replacement dropins that contain a new LED and driver. This is how the Magliteyou used was so bright. The good dropins are expensive and unless you have a sentimental attachment to an old Magliteyou are better getting a complete new torch.
If you can give details of your preferred batteries, size and use of torch I will recommend something suitable.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Torches have improved dramatically since the Maglight.
There are LED replacement dropins that contain a new LED and driver. This is how the Maglight you used was so bright. The good dropins are expensive and unless you have a sentimental attachment to an old Maglight you are better getting a complete new torch.
If you can give details of your preferred batteries, size and use of torch I will recommend something suitable.

but LED dont have much range do they ???
also give a horrid dazzling light

noelex

Visit site
but LED dont have much range do they ???
also give a horrid dazzling light
You are thinking of the 5mm Leds. The new torches use a different kind of LED. Typical results will have 3X the range and 10x the output of a 4D Maglite. The beam is much better with no rings or artifacts which greatly improves visibility.
Forget what you think you know about LED torches a good modern model is completely different to what you buy in the hardware store.
Its a pity more boat owners don’t have one they are a great, perhaps essential, piece of safety gear if nothing else.

sailorman

Visit site
You are thinking of the 5mm Leds. The new torches use a different kind of LED. Typical results will have 3X the range and 10x the output of a 4D Maglite. The beam is much better with no rings or artifacts which greatly improves visibility.
Forget what you think you know about LED torches a good modern model is completely different to what you buy in the hardware store.
Its a pity more boat owners don’t have one they are a great, perhaps essential, piece of safety gear if nothing else.

i have a 4D & a 2 cell AAA
what would you recommend

noelex

Visit site
i have a 4D & a 2 cell AAA
what would you recommend
For the 2D I would replace if with a Fenix TK50
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/fenix/fenix-tk50-flashlight.html

For the 2XAAA a single AA would be a better option unless AAA is essential it is brighter and smaller than the 2AAA. It gives you a very small torch with in conjunction with the much larger TK50 covers most of the options.
Quark single AA model
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/4sevens/quark-aa-tactical-s2.html

The other possibility for a single AA is the Zebralight. This can also be used as a headtorch its very small and bright, but it has a very wide beam. The beam distribution is great for things like working on the engine, but it it will not pick up distant objects as well as the Quark (The larger TK50 is ideal for this so both torches would still cover all circumstances)

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebralight/zebralight-h51.html

If AAA is essential the Preon in single AAA or 2X AAA is OK

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/4sevens/preon-2.html

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
For the 2D I would replace if with a Fenix TK50
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/fenix/fenix-tk50-flashlight.html

For the 2XAAA a single AA would be a better option unless AAA is essential it is brighter than the and it gives you a very small torch with in conjunction with the much larger TK50 covers most of the options.
Quark single AA model
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/4sevens/quark-aa-tactical-s2.html

The other possibility for a single AA is the Zebralight. This can also be used as a headtorch its very small and bright, but it has a very wide beam. The beam distribution is great for things like working on the engine, but it it will not pick up distant objects as well as the Quark (The larger TK50 is ideal for this so both torches would still cover all circumstances)

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebralight/zebralight-h51.html

i do not want to change the existing torches but possibly up grade the bulb

noelex

Visit site
To replace just the “bulb” is more complicated as the LED also needs some electronics installed (the driver) and often a new reflector is required.
You can achieve a bright torch, but it takes a bit of work. There are sometimes residual problems like effective cooling of the LED.
The main reason for doing this is a sentimental attachment to an old torch”my dad gave it too me” or for law enforcement where they have an existing holster designed for a particular torch. There is often little saving in cost for the equivalent performance and there are now more durable and waterproof torches than the Maglite available.
Thse problems are why I recommended a complete new torch.

If you are still keen to keep the Maglite. Malkoff devices produce some good conversion products for the 4D Maglite. They also have a nice how too video.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/instructions.htm

Last edited:

emsworthy

Visit site
There is one other advantage of the 4D and 3D Maglites we seem to be missing. That is, if you happened to come across an intruder whilst the torch was, let's say in its most comfortable position, i.e. laying over your shoulder with your hand holding the lens end and you happened to, by accident, have brought it down sharply in a forward arc, you could not be accused of being anything other than surprised and acting as such... despite the fact that you were carrying a metal cosh of c.2 kilos!

Forgive me but a AAA torch, whatever its light output, is not going to cut it when faced with a piece of humanity intent on robbing you of your hard earned belongings.

sailorman

Visit site
There is one other advantage of the 4D and 3D Maglites we seem to be missing. That is, if you happened to come across an intruder whilst the torch was, let's say in its most comfortable position, i.e. laying over your shoulder with your hand holding the lens end and you happened to, by accident, have brought it down sharply in a forward arc, you could not be accused of being anything other than surprised and acting as such... despite the fact that you were carrying a metal cosh of c.2 kilos!

Forgive me but a AAA torch, whatever its light output, is not going to cut it when faced with a piece of humanity intent on robbing you of your hard earned belongings.

the 4D does just wot you said :cool:
the AAA is good for engine ect

Shuggy

Visit site
I saw one of the new 2D cell Maglites in B&Q and was so impressed I bought it and replaced the floodlight on the boat with it. I then read about the 'Nite Ize' 1 Watt LED conversion for existing 'normal' Maglites so I bought one and fitted it to our old incandescent 2D cell Maglite. Big mistake. It is nowhere near as good as the new genuine LED torches and I would buy a new one any day.

noelex

Visit site

Many of the new torches have "tactical "features.
These include a specially reinforced end with sharp ridges.
They also have a strobe which is designed to disorientate
They are so bright that once shone in someone’s eyes they cannot see much for a while.

There are plenty of large, tough, and heavy LED torches. The TK50 that I recomended is 228 (long) x 60 mm(diameter at the head), but there are larger options if thats what you want

Last edited:

noelex

Visit site
I saw one of the new 2D cell Maglites in B&Q and was so impressed I bought it and replaced the floodlight on the boat with it. I then read about the 'Nite Ize' 1 Watt LED conversion for existing 'normal' Maglites so I bought one and fitted it to our old incandescent 2D cell Maglite. Big mistake. It is nowhere near as good as the new genuine LED torches and I would buy a new one any day.

There are plenty of poor conversions.
The 2D LED Maglite is not particularly bright, by modern standards, so the conversion must have been bad..
The good conversions will be brighter than the genuine Maglite LED, but the conversion can cost 3X the price of the whole torch so most people elect to buy a better quality complete torch.
The good conversions are really design to be used with expensive, but older torches such as Surefire.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I was bought a small Maglite LED torch for Xmas. It has astonishing output for such a small torch, better than any other in my possession. It hasn't had a lot of use yet but I'm very impressed so far.