Magazine Comparison

claymore

Visit site
I was going to post this to Humperdincks thread but the pedestrian pace of the technology this afternoon has meant that I've created my own.
It seems that Yachting World, Yachting Monthly and Practical Boat Owner could be compared to 3 other magazines
Yachting World to Cosmopolitan where you can learn how to have multiple orgasms.
Yachting Monthly to Woman, where you could learn how to have 1 orgasm
Practical Boat Owner to Womans Realm, where you can learn how to knit one.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Forum.

Can we borrow your copy, can't reach that the shelves that high up and the newsagent's assistant in the miniskirt won't go up the ladder for it either.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Re: Best sex in the UK!

Most of French magazines have, V&V or Loisirs Nautiques (which used to be a wealthy mine of information for DIY, now more similar to other magazines) have lost more and more space to glossy pictures etc, they still have something interesting, sometimes, but they all look much alike and are basically following the same path towards the "average consumer" they are aimed at.

As one of their journalists once said, it is difficult not to talk about "winterizing the engine" in september issues and "gearing up for summer" in april, at least if you plan to sell a few copies of the magazine you are editing.

Worst imho are Italian: almost as much car (yes car) tests/advertising as boats', smaller boat tested is 1000000ft long, sunny beaches resorts pictures fill all the other pages. Plus of course the occasional gorgeous half naked girl on the cover. Maybe the best part of the magazine

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Subscribe to Yachting Monthly and Sailing Today. Often buy PBO from the newsagents, but not always (some issues look just far too knit your own circuit breaker for my taste).

Most months YM and ST have something interesting on most pages. Not always though, but that's life.
As has been said elsewhere by Humpy, and I strongly concur, standards of layout, pictures, design, legibility etc are high. Maybe not perfect. I think I've now seen too many boat tests, but that's just me.

I know full well that some old salts on this and other forums reckon that content standards have declined compared with the good old days. I think they're quite high. Rules me out as a wrinkled old son of the sea I guess.

I also know that it won't be a popular old salt or indeed ybw.com view that S T is quite a good mag. John Goode actually (pathetic joke).

Its very easy to be cynical, to reckon the hacks know nothing about sailing, that they're in the pockets of the 'plastic' boat makers (BenBavJen) and ruled by their advertisers' whims. We are talking about commercial publishing here folks, not the Parish Magazine. Fairly to set oneself up as an Authority by pouring scorn. The Grumpy Old Git technique. Everyone respects James Jermain don't they? Simon Jinks strikes me a pretty sound. And Cunliffe. And Goode.

There you go. What do I know?

G

Re: Best sex in the UK!

"Plus of course the occasional gorgeous half naked girl on the cover. Maybe the best part of the magazine"
Perhaps that is what is missing from YM and PBO at the moment...good investigative journalism!!!

www.boatsyachtsmarinas.com

G

Here, here ...

I've been reading YM on and off for 20 years. When I didn't have a boat it was great for armachair sailing. When I owned a boat I bought it occasionally for entertainment purposes. Due to an expat re-location to Malaysia, I had to sell my boat. Consequently, I now subscribe to YM and devour its contents (adds included) as soon as it arrives, and dream of the new boat, and voyages, for when I return to Oz.