Mad Max hit 'n' run - photos

Ships_Cat

Visit site
Re: Mad Max hit \'n\' run - photos

There you go, just as I said international law does not apply unless local legislation is enacted giving power to it and like a good little laddy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif you have found it for UK.

You wouldn't like to hunt through the NZ legislation for me to see if anything in there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

For Australia I think it is in the Lighthouse Act or something like that around 1910. All NZ's maritime legislation was revamped during the 1990's with the Maritime Transport Act 1994 being the main instrument - as far as I recall there is nothing in that apart from the need to report accidents/incidents to the authorities (being the NZ equivalent of the MCA).

Would be interested in Nigeria and Switzerland, as you mentioned them, if still any time in hand there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

John

landaftaf

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
There you go, just as I said international law does not apply unless local legislation is enacted giving power to it and like a good little laddy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif you have found it for UK.

You wouldn't like to hunt through the NZ legislation for me to see if anything in there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

For Australia I think it is in the Lighthouse Act or something like that around 1910. All NZ's maritime legislation was revamped during the 1990's with the Maritime Transport Act 1994 being the main instrument - as far as I recall there is nothing in that apart from the need to report accidents/incidents to the authorities (being the NZ equivalent of the MCA).

Would be interested in Nigeria and Switzerland, as you mentioned them, if still any time in hand there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be honest no - I cant be bothered to hunt through n.z. maritime legislation to find something I am sure is there - it would be inconceivable n.z. didnt ratify that legislation.

secondly - I will not rise to your rudeness, if you think that a feeble attempt at being patronising and using 'laddie' as an acceptable adjective when addressing others then it shows us all what a catty immature 7 year old prat you really are.

finally - if you think adding a few laughing smileys to your text make your comments all a bit jokey - again it shows us your immaturity.

to my mind you have lost the respect I accord everyone on first meeting them, (until I see their true colours). I shall henceforth view your further offerings here in a different light.

Ships_Cat

Visit site

From one smiley user to another, perhaps more vigorous smiley user - perhaps you could just push the "Ignore this User" button.

Alternatively, accept that there may be others who have some idea of what they are talking about, even though they may only be a cat (and do not strut the bridge of a ship).

John

BrendanS

Visit site

or perhaps you could acknowledge, that just like me, you are 'challenging' posters, and make an effort to get on with each other.

I know it's a hopeless task sometimes, as some rebuff all efforts, but most times a PM sorts it all out, as not dis-similar views are shared by pm.

Talking of which, John, Me and SWMBO are planning a trip to South Island in late October/November. Where should we go and what to see? Renting RV, as from previous visits, that seems to be the best way of seeing islands to best advantage

Ships_Cat

Visit site

Hi Brendan

You say it as it is and I am the last to set out to make enemies - but sometimes some take it like that. Out of the above maybe some now know that the frequent references to international law (by many, eg to IntColRegs, not picking on anyone specific) are irrelevant to most, it is the legislation of their country they need to know about that restates that (frequently in different words and meaning).

Fine on the trip - can expand in PM's/emails to extent you wish but my initial suggestions would be roughly as follows, adjusted for time available, assuming enter at Christchurch, and outdoor interests.

I would head north SH1 to Nelson, very nice little city (we lived on board there for 8-9 months and sail there every year or two) and close to Abel Tasman National Park. If you want an even more winding and outdoory type route (but quite ok in an RV) is leave ChCh on SH1 then SH7 to Springs Junction then SH6/65 to Nelson. Probably around 6 hours in RV and if going inland way may like to overnight someplace (Springs Junction?). If go up SH1 there is whale watching at Kaikoura (never tried them though as we see our own whales). First stop in Nelson is the Information Buro at north end of main shopping street south of the bridge to load up on pamphlets.

Then down SH6 to Westport Hokitika to Haast, inland through the S Alps to Wanaka (I have never been down this bit) and then to Queenstown (Queenstown I am familiar with). Is a long way and not great roads so need a day or two. May be too late for skiing probably, think end of Oct is normal limit but not sure on that - but plenty of adventure stuff around Queenstown/Arrowtown - rafting, bungee, jet boat rides, cruise on lake on "Earnslaw" etc if looking to be entertained.

I personally would give Invercargill and Dunedin a miss if you don't have any special interest there and assuming more interest in scenery and outdoors. If plenty of time Dunedin is ok for a quick visit (Royal Albatross colony to visit - never been to it myself as we get them out in Cook Strait to see, magnificent birds). So head north up SH8 to Omarama, Twizel, Lake Tekapo. I know this bit well as I had the fortunate experience to get a 2 year assignment in that area - we all fell in love with the scenery. Just introduce yourself as a "Loopy" to the locals and they will look after you fine. On to SH1 north of Timaru (nothing much in Timaru) and back to ChCh. ChCh is worth a little time even though may be a bit like mini home as is quite English.

If time limited, missout the Nelson bit first, but keep Queenstown/ChCh regardless.

If flying Oz to ChCh get window seats either side (usually 767 or 737 sized aircraft) as if a clear day scenery is very nice, still snow on alps etc. On that route is the only time anywhere in the world I have seen o'seas visitors mostly get up from centre seats to look out the windows (was nice day and snow down onto the plains).

If come via USA so do Auckland - ChCh prob via Wellington, in which case get right hand side seats as Wellington/ChCh is over the sea so RH gives view overland rather than trying to look for S America.

Probably bored everyone with that, but some may be interested (been lots of you Brit's out here recently).

Regards

John

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

We did see the damage instantly - there was a lot a crunching, scraping and bending metall!

I only stated that the extent of the damage had to be assessed by a surveyor.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

Getting bored of writing this - EVERYONE on both boats could see damage straight away.

I never wrote that we didn't know there was damage until we got back...

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

[ QUOTE ]
No, I guess it wouldn't have. If a nice J class yacht had drifted into his pulpit, methinks rogerroger would've put it down to experience but there's definitely more than a hint of mobo v yottie here

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you guys trying to stir this up ? I have friends with motor boats and enjoy going out on them. In fact my other half has not taken to sailing so it's quite possible my next boat will be a small sports boat.

I've had many occasion where a clueless raggie has tried to moor on me down tide & down wind and caused all sorts of problems, only difference being I've never actually sustained any damage whereas in this instance we did.

I actually have great respect for most stinkie skippers who I believe show great skill in contolling boats at close quarters with a great deal of windage.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

We had a video camera out for the Tarfalgar 200 stuff.

I also have enough experience to know you cannot fend off a 30 ton boat in a 2 knot tide and 28 knots of wind.

Especially as they made no effort to contact us I'm extremely glad we have it on video, as is the insurance company.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

Well excuse me for not being a perfect human being.

Yes, when someone does something to upset me I can get angry. If someone crashed their car into you would you get out smiling calling him 'mate' ? No, I expect you'd be somewhat annoyed.

I'm not ranting and raving about revenge, retribution or visiting him in the small hours with some hired help, I'm simply annoyed someone hit our boat, knew about it and drove off and made no effort to contact us.

I reserve the right for some childish name calling ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ValleyForge

Visit site

Mounting incredulity here for such a simple situation, may I summarise - 1) you are both moored in a spectator fleet in acknowledged tricky conditions clearly all on a temporary basis. 2) Motor boat is upwind (?) and swinging, lets assume he has anchored in front of you in too small a gap with you already in situ and drags downwind to you.
3) looks like he is using engine power to get away from you but is hampered by anchor & bears down sideways to you 4) many hands on deck to deal with imminent and subsequent impact which is presumably determined by speed of drift. 5) No doubt following much shouting & judging from your written note much verbal abuse (why photo when more constructive action could have been taken, I would have viewed the motor boat as being in distress at that time whether the skipper is competant or not is irreleavant at this stage) 6) no doubt eager to remove himself from abuse he moves off - more than likely unaware of any damage. Was the impact really so severe ?
7) Surely this is an accident,any damage to be resolved by your insurers, the boat has already been easily identified ?

8) Any independent witness's sought ? there must have been loads of other boats about close by ?

9) If the impact was severe enough to damage your bow, surely the unprotected flat side of the motorboat hull would be marked or punctured - A quick check by the Poole marina staff would comment on that (or your insurance assessor).

Or have I got it all wrong ?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Re: Mad Max hit \'n\' run -THE LATEST

Well this hasn't been a dull post has it?

First let me express my regret at using the word 'scum' - it was used due to frustration, clearly has not helped me and has generally been inferred as being more offensive than intended.

Anyway - BIG THANK YOU to several people from this forum who've PM'd and called me with the whereabout of this boat which was the initial point of the post. We now know where she is and the matter is in the hands of the insurance company.

I'm also amazed at how some people have laid into me over this; almost implying I was in the wrong. I was quite prepared to publish the whole video on the web once it's all been resolved as perhaps we could all learn something, but have now decided not to as no doubt someone will say that the Sunseeker was anchored and we crashed into her! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for the insurance - well Nauticat's aren't cheap so the repair bill is comfortably into 4 figures but I won't state the exact amount as don't want to prejudice any claim.

Cheers and happy and safe boating /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

landaftaf

Visit site

I suspect they were joshing you to get a response, and they won ...........

good luck on your claim - and I agree with you, they were arseholes of the first order. the least they should have done is radio an apology

I have posted my thoughts on obligations of masters/skippers re duties after a collision - thats the route I would follow.

cheer up - worse things happen at sea

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EME

www.lumishore.com

Jeez - this is a weird thread. Nearly a hundred posts and only 2 refer to the asked for facts ... the original poster more interested in arguing the 'raggie' case ( I want to know if he found the Man 56 owner and time for name - and shame!!)

The guilty party is partially excused ( 'cos he's a stinkpot?)
The offended party is abused ('cos he's a raggie?)

No wonder some get fed up with these forums..

B

bob_tyler

"I've had many occasion where a clueless raggie has tried to moor on me down tide & down wind and caused all sorts of problems, only difference being I've never actually sustained any damage whereas in this instance we did."

Roger, may I gently suggest that you shouldn't be worried if another boat moors DOWNwind and tide of you. It's if they moor UPwind and tide and then drag, that's when a problem arises.

If they have moored downwind and tide and you drag, then your pushpit might get damaged.

Pleased for you that the forum has produced the result for you and hope that it all sorts out OK.

Bob

duncan

Visit site

bob - I read his words to mean 'come alongside me (to moor) down wind and down tide (ie with them both driving the other vessel into his effectively out control'

whatever - absolutley agree with learner............ /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif