Mad Max hit 'n' run - photos

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Mad Max hit \'n\' run - photos

Apologies for the cross post with raggie forum.. but I'm sure you'll find crashing into someone and not stopping / contacting unacceptable and will want to help if you can.

Oh, and while it may not be 100% clear from these stills, we're at anchor and have the anchor ball up...

**** posted on Scuttlebut ****

You may remember my post about the 53 foot Sunseeker that hit us on the Trafalgar 200 Day (28 June) who then b*gg*r*d off without stopping or responding to VHF. Well here are a few 'before', 'during' and 'after' pics.

If you can identify Mad Max please let me know. We've tracked down the registration details but they don't help and as after 2 weeks they evidently made no effort to find us I would say this has gone beyond an insurance claim and is now into criminal damage and reckless endangerment.

Approaching

w_before.jpg

Crash - hm, 12 meters of anchor chain in 12 meters of water is NOT a good idea...

the-crunch.jpg

After - OK - you just sod off then...
after.jpg

do you know this boat and where she's berthed ? Please help us catch these scum...

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Mad Max hit \'n\' run - photos

No idea who it was, but what was the damage? Looks like he had his anchor down, or partly? If there is some damage. Does he know about it??

Looks like an unfortunate accident. I mean not quite rammed at colision speed!! Anyway, feel sorry for you, dont like boats bashed.

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com

a) I presume you've contacted the police and informed them of the accident.

b) I presume you've contacted your insurance company who'll carry out their own investigation.

c) I presume you've contacted Sunseeker (who'll be no help but you have to follow every course of action anyway.)

d) I presume you've contacted all the local marinas. (And say you heard there's a Mad Max for sale and you're interested!!!!!)

e) You CAN ALWAYS find out the location of any person, car or boat if you're determined enough. (I've totally shocked debtors in the past by turning up on their doorstep when they thought they had all their tracks covered! If you're determined enough, you can find ANYONE!!)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

How do you know he only had 12m of chain down and can I add my voice to the chorus of requests for info on damage to your boat. Did Mad Max know there was damage?
A boat of this size will not be able to berth just anywhere and the number of marinas that could handle a boat this size is not huge. Maybe a phone call to

Port Solent
Chichester
Ocean Village
Hamble Point
Port Hamble
Mercury
Lymington Yacht Haven
Berthon
Salterns

jfm

Visit site

Hope you get this all sorted out amicably.

That's a sunseeker manhattan 56, not 53

Ref your post elsewhere, the shareholders of a Guernsey or Jersey company are on the public record in Gsy/Jsy. Not a secret. This is true for "exempt" and dormant companies too.

As asked by others, could these folk have reasonably thought there was no damage?

jimh

Visit site

similar thing occurred to me last year - was at anchor when raggie misjudged his anchor deployment in narrow channel - no damaged and he left rather hastily red faced. Don't remember thinking of him as scum though.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

I agree with the others, scum is a bit harsh. Also.....

1) Looks very low speed and they did make some effort to push the boats apart.
2) There's a chance that his boat suffered too if it's any consolation.
3) He'd already made a pigs ear trying to anchor. He's hardly gonna risk it again so that he can have a chat with you.

Obviously though if your boat has been damaged then your entitled to be reimbursed for the cost of fixing it.

Pete

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com

Having read all the replies, I have no ideas to add to them (based in N Wales anyway!). But I am curious...you have two fenders ready to be deployed and they aren't used?? From my experience, yachtsmen usually carry one or two large spherical fenders. Were you carrying any of these? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to shift the blame.

My guess would be that they have chartered this machine for the day and did in fact booger off thinking that they could get away with it. As to the "scum" bit...if they knew they had damaged your boat and then cleared off, then yes, they are scum. If not, then they probably aren't.

Your insurance company will be keen to trace the owners, so give that job to them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

Fenders were out as they live in the anchor locker hence when using the anchor they are removed and secured on the guard rail.

Besides - the hit us clean on the pushpit where fenders were no use. Also the height difference also meant fenders had no effect and also the shear weight of a boat this size hitting us would also have rendered fenders largely ineffective, even if they could have been placed correctly.

I do not use the word 'scum' for hitting us, accidents happen in all walks of life - I use it as they simply drove off, did not answer calls on the VHF and have made no attempt to contact us since.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

Pete

I agree - so why make no effort to contact us ? There were RYA marshal boats in attendance - how hard would it have been to scribble down some contact details to pass to them (or a business card)?

It's not the accident that bugs us - it's the failure on their part to do anything about it. When you hit a car in a car park, most decent people would at least leave a note...

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com

[ QUOTE ]
I do not use the word 'scum' for hitting us, accidents happen in all walks of life - I use it as they simply drove off, did not answer calls on the VHF and have made no attempt to contact us since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly suspect the same as you do, which is sad, coz all this could and should have been sorted by brief and amicable exchanges of information, leaving the insurance company to do the rest.

I do hope you get sorted soonest.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

Mike

Full extent of damage obviously needs assessing by a surveyor.

The pushpit was hit hard and is visibly now off by about 30 degrees. Big deal you may say, but if the pressure on the stantions has weekend the hull / deck joint there will be more expense and as the forestay was also affected there may be some rigging damage.

I've tried most of the marinas with no luck but will try a couple of your helpful list that I haven't.