Lying a- hull in a storm

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I like the idea, but if that piece of cord breaks you are locked out of the cabin in a storm.
Yes, I thought about that, too!

You'd have to have emergency finger access to the latch . Maybe a nylon screw in access hole with a coin slot. (There must be stacks of alternatives).

Maybe one of these?

Screenshot_2020-08-14 plastic deck filler cap - Google Search.png

I bought one of these on eBay yesterday

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Kitchen 304 Stainless Steel Furniture Door Gate Spring Latch 4 7 Inch Le...png

dialdan

Visit site
fore-reaching-diagram
Wouldn't this want to make the boat tack ? To me it looks as though the rudder should be reversed

38mess

Visit site
Do people still think lying a hull is a good storm tactic?
I once hove to in a gale in the Irish sea for 12ish hours, plenty of sea room to drift. Never thought of lying ahull, wouldn't that put your boat beam on to the waves? I'm assuming sailing boats the op is enquiring about. Occasionally a wave top pooped the cockpit, but the boat, a moody 27 stayed comfortable and dry.

Poey50

Visit site
What is that supposed to mean?
As you can see I sent my purchase confirmation of the item rather than the link to the item itself. I've deleted my original post since it contains some personal information. Would you kindly delete your first response which repeats the original link? With thanks.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
As you can see I sent my purchase confirmation of the item rather than the link to the item itself. I've deleted my original post since it contains some personal information. Would you kindly delete your first response which repeats the original link? With thanks.

No problem. When you delete a post it deletes it for everyone: it's as if you never posted it.

Poey50

Visit site
Having bluewater sailing in mind with a relatively modest sized boat, I've read everything I can on the subject. In my view, nothing comes close to the analysis and solutions offered by Attainable Adventure Cruising (Morgan's Cloud). To respect their business model (it has a paywall) I won't quote but will paraphrase. One section nails the myth of 'rogue waves' and provides data and analysis of the likelihood of a wave large enough to roll a boat lying a-hull. Spoiler alert - if you read it, you won't do it in anything over a Force 7.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
fore-reaching-diagram
Wouldn't this want to make the boat tack ? To me it looks as though the rudder should be reversed
Gusts may make it round up somewhat, but at a certain point the sail will luff and lose drive, and then the bow will fall away, back onto the same course. To tack a boat requires speed, to bring it past that point under its own momentum, whereupon the windage in the ( sometimes deliberately backed) foresail will push the bow over onto the new tack. In the past I have found it difficult to tack successfully under mainsail only.
When I was a keelboat instructor, the engineless boats we used were always sailed off their moorings, and it was best practice to hoist both sails before dropping the mooring, so as to provide maximum manouverability in a crowded mooring field.

dialdan

Visit site
Gusts may make it round up somewhat, but at a certain point the sail will luff and lose drive, and then the bow will fall away, back onto the same course. To tack a boat requires speed, to bring it past that point under its own momentum, whereupon the windage in the ( sometimes deliberately backed) foresail will push the bow over onto the new tack. In the past I have found it difficult to tack successfully under mainsail only.
When I was a keelboat instructor, the engineless boats we used were always sailed off their moorings, and it was best practice to hoist both sails before dropping the mooring, so as to provide maximum manouverability in a crowded mooring field.
Thanks for your explanation seems to make sense . I always thought fore-reaching was a safer option because you are still moving forward and have some steering control.