lumpy weather motion still in my head

Madhatter

wp.me
I have just finished a 11 hour sail in gusty and lumpy (sea condition) weather, problem is my head is still on the boat even after 3 hours, very disconcerting sat in the bath wobbling from side to side and walking with a peculiar gait ( at least in my head).
Is this normal please ??

vjmehra

Visit site
I sometimes feel like I'm on the boat a couple of days after, even after a fairly mild ride!

Other times I'm fine straight away, no idea why!

Babylon

Visit site
No, its extremely abnormal.

I'd advise you to stop sailing and put your boat on the market with immediate effect.

dancrane

Visit site
SWMBO and I both independently thought we sensed the flat moving at times, several hours after sailing the Osprey in very calm conditions.

I reckon (in the dinghy) it's the fact of having got used to the movement of the deck under us when we move about, and a continuing anticipation of that motion, ashore.

Did I read in Arthur Ransome, about a man staggering sideways and falling off a dock, after several weeks of being rock-steady on the deck of a tall ship?

Rumtotty

Visit site
Luckily I am hardly ever troubled by sea sickness and deal with nausea quickly by closing eyes below deck, but in my 40's started to become "landsick" after a rough spell at sea for upto 2 days after landing.
Driving home after landing became a very unnerving experience, sharp corners and roundabouts made me feel ill!
My GP thought it was a symptom of ageing, and suggested I take sea sickness pills for 24 hrs before landing and for the first day back on land if the weather has been rough and it seems to work.

peterb

Visit site
Went sailing yesterday at SIBS for a couple of hours. Came off the boat and felt the land moving. Thought 'Strange? Doesn't usually affect me that quickly?'

Then I realised that I was standing on a pontoon and that yes, it was moving!

pagoda

Visit site
I get that - and I love it when I can still feel the motion of the boat when sitting at my desk - embrace it and enjoy it

D

I'm not sure I enjoy it all that much, but it is quite a strong sensation after 8-10hours helming in lively weather. I recall staggering up the high street in Campbeltown (not having reached any pub) and getting weird looks from pedestrians..
It goes away eventually, though I have felt queasy AFTER a long passage, tied up or at anchor, when I am over sensitive to boat motion once down below in the saloon. That's not so pleasant, since I generally have no problems with boat motion while in the cockpit under way.
Driving again after 3 weeks sailing is decidedly scary, it's all too fast :D

prv

Visit site
Then I realised that I was standing on a pontoon and that yes, it was moving!

A mate of mine fell over in the showers at Gosport marina. He felt the room moving, and assumed it was just land-sickness, so tried standing very still. He'd forgotten that he was in the Mary Mouse (for the non-locals, a converted lightship used as the marina bar and showers) and a cross-Channel ferry was going past outside :D

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Mad Hatter,

yes it is normal, usually only lasts a day or so for me; bright sunshine and glare off the water seems to amplify the effect.

As Dylan says, a nice reminder of your time aboard.

Daydream believer

Visit site
If I recall correctly , when Chichester returned from his round the world trip the Queen was standing on the dock side waiting to give him a knighthood
Having been at sea for so long when he stood on terra firma he promptly lost his balance & fell over in front of her
Apparently he was extremely embarrassed by it

cmedsailor

Visit site
I used to get this feeling 7-8 years ago when I started sailing but not any longer. Even this summer, after a long with some horrible swell for a few hours 42 hours non-stop passage I didn't get it. You just get used to it by time.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
If I recall correctly , when Chichester returned from his round the world trip the Queen was standing on the dock side waiting to give him a knighthood
Having been at sea for so long when he stood on terra firma he promptly lost his balance & fell over in front of her
Apparently he was extremely embarrassed by it

Chichester landed at Plymouth in May 1967 and was knighted at Greenwich in July, spending the time between in hospital with a stomach ulcer. He did sail GMIV from Plymouth to London (with a crew) but I suspect falling over on the dockside there is a tall (or short) story.

Cheers

Edit to ad: I think he did have to be helped ashore in Sydney, so maybe the story is a fusion of the two?

Last edited: