Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 Touch - Can't see SD Card

westerlylad

Visit site
Hi all, I'm trying to load the latest software for the above chart plotter, but my unit does not seem able to detect my SD card. I've tried several cards, from 512 MB to 4GB, but no SD card appears on the 'My Files' page and the unit doesn't load the new software on startup. I'll try the technical support team too, but has anyone out there had a similar problem?

ianj99

Visit site
You have to insert the card before you power it up. It will then detect and install the firmware automatically. (Follow Lowrance instructions for installing the firmware onto the card from your PC/Laptop)

Toutvabien

Visit site
I had the same problem, it transpired that the SD card was too large a capacity, they can only see up to something like 8GB. Retried with a smaller capacity SD card and bingo first time.

ianj99

Visit site
I had the same problem, it transpired that the SD card was too large a capacity, they can only see up to something like 8GB. Retried with a smaller capacity SD card and bingo first time.

Yes, now you mention it. There is a limit on size although my Gen 3 recognises more than 8gb I think but the OP has only tried upto 4gb so not the problem.

westerlylad

Visit site
Thanks all so far for your replies. In answer to ianj99, Yes, I've inserted the SD card before powering up, but that didn't work. I've also tried looking for the SD card on the 'My Files' page, where it is supposed to be visible, but no sign of any SD card when I do this. My cards are okay, I think, and not too big. I was just wondering if anyone with the same type of chart plotter had ever had a similar problem. It has worked okay until very recently, when the gps date rollover problem started. I managed to load the first software patch from late last year okay, but there was a second date rollover in April this year, and the latest software is now refusing to load. It's an expensive gadget to give up on without a fight!, Of course, I'll be trying the Navico technical team too, but I thought the power of the ybw forum would be worth a try too!

ianj99

Visit site
What happens if you try to re install the first update? Is it detected and a message about it not being needed displayed?
(trying to rule out a faulty card slot)
Does the Gen 2 have two slots (the Gen 3 does)?

westerlylad

Visit site
Hi ianj99, the Gen2 has just the one card slot. It does not seem to matter which update I have on a card now, the unit does not appear to be 'seeing' any on my cards. Also, now, when I replace my Navionics card, this too does not appear to be detected. I can't imagine that it's a physical problem with the card slot, as there is presumably not that much to go wrong with them. and I've never had any problem with any other card slots, e.g. on computers, cameras etc., so my guess would be with the software or something.

westerlylad

Visit site
Hi woodstock, some of the cards are FAT and some FAT32, so I dont think the problem is that. My main hope, of course, is that someone else out there has had the same problem and come up with a solution!
I've not heard back from the technical support people yet either. I'm hoping that, if someone else has had this problem, they have also been in touch with them!

Neeves

Visit site
Try a different card, borrow one. it may be a simple issue of slight damage/incompatability between your specific card and the connection in the Lawrence unit.

My micro SIM did work - but now does not

Jonathan

westerlylad

Visit site
Thanks again all for your suggestions. I've tried everything that's been suggested, factory re-sets forced booting from SD card, other SD cards etc. I think that I'm just going to have to send the unit back to Navico UK. Has anyone ever done that and, if so, how did it go?

Daverw

Visit site
I had to send a Lowrence u it back a couple of years ago, called them and sent it back and they returned it sorted in under a week, also sent a spare sun screen

chrisclin

Visit site
When I applied the latest fix to my GDS7 Gen2 (not Touch) it didn't work as simply as the previous update in February. In that case, I inserted the card, powered it up and Bingo it worked. This time I thought nothing was happening. After 20 minutes I decided to abort but pressing buttons had no affect. Eventually I turned the boat power off at the switch panel and tried again. The same thing happened again. However, the third time I tried it worked fine after a time and it has worked fine ever since. All I can suggest is 'Try, Try and Try again' It worked with Robert the Bruce!

westerlylad

Visit site
Thanks Chris, but I think even Robert the Bruce would be impressed with my persistence in trying everything to get this thing going! I'm now resolved to sending it back to Navico UK.

Fishbreath

Visit site
Thanks Chris, but I think even Robert the Bruce would be impressed with my persistence in trying everything to get this thing going! I'm now resolved to sending it back to Navico UK.
Hey westerlylad, did you ever solve your issue with your chart plotter not recognising your cards? I have an older unit - Lowrance Elite 9 Chirp - but I have the same issue; the unit won't recognise the micro sd card with the software update I'm trying to install and it won't recognise my map card either (only 2gb). No matter what I've tried I can't seem to get it to read (soft/hard resets etc). I'm in Oz, so may have to send it to Navico Australia but it obviously won't be under warranty...

Cheers, Heath

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Fishbread - you've posted in a 3 year old thread. Might not get a response from the OP very soon.

Anyhow, the FAT vs FAT32 formatting is worth trying but so is indeed different cards. It is a well known problem that some 'amazingly cheap' cards are actually rejects from manufacturers' QA sold on various electronic marketplaces.

Fishbreath

Visit site
Thanks chromy. You are probably right but I'm assuming there's no easy fix and I'll have to send it off to Navico. I was just curious if westerlylad managed to get it sorted out or he had to fork out for a new one. I just spent about $12k on the boat and I don't want to cough up another $2k plus to replace it...not this fishing season anyway!