Low(ish) profile waterproof deck socket

robmcg

Visit site
I need a replacement waterproof deck socket and corresponding plug. It's to connect the ram for the autohelm. The current socket is crusty and has suffered water ingress at some point. Although the existing plug and socket combo is three pins, only two seem to be in use so I am guessing a two pin socket will suffice. A like for like replacement is stupid money -£60 which rubs up against my sense of being ripped off 🤔. Current plug and socket look like the ones below. Any recommendations of something that is actually waterproof. This one isn't really.
m81181_1new-800x800.jpg

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
SAE 2-pin bulkhead. Waterproof. I get at least 10 years out of them if I grease them every season. They are now my standard 12 V plug, and I've been fighting non-standard for 40 years. $11. Very widely available in the US (any auto parts store + Amazon).

Hint: you cut the wire in two and splice one half to the 12 V system and the other half to the device. In fact, my tiller pilot runs on one of these, after facing the same dilemma the OP has. It's been two years.

61k8jPJhJML._AC_SL1200_.jpg

NormanS

Visit site
The 2 pin plug and sockets that I have seen, have had different size pins, etc so can't be reversed. If you wire up incorrectly that's another matter.
I have seen some where the polarity was unprotected, and fair enough, in some situations it doesn't matter.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
The SAE sockets are hermaphodite and can be wired and plugged either way, but it is best practice that the exposed pin is ground and the socket pins are hot. Not a big deal on boats in all cases, but important on motorcycles and cars. They are also available in 4-pin version, that formerly was widely used to connect trailers and caravans. The 2 pin can actually plug into the 4-pin fitting and works, so long as the pin is ground and the first socket is 12 V hot.

Polarity is vital for most things now that LEDs are the most common light source. Most of you know that LEDs do not light with reverse polarity. Same for anything with a chip. So get it right. If you don't know how to use a multi-meter you should learn or contract electrical work.

In the US extension cords, adapters, and accessories with these plugs are common. Just remember the grease. There is also a cover attached.

johnalison

Visit site
I had to replace the same socket, though the problem was that it hadn't been properly sealed against the backing. I put in a Bulgin socket that is very effective, though it is more of a fiddle to put on and off. It is not low-profile though, but mine is in a recess.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I like the look of the red CN-Linko connectors - you can also get them on AliExpress, eBay etc, but 12vPlanet have them if you need quick delivery: IP67 Waterproof Panel Mount Connectors (12V,20A) | 12 Volt Planet

They appear to close with a single turn.

I'lll be sticking with Bulgin Bucaneer for my autopilot ram because that's what's on my boat already, and I'd rather not make a mess with another hole, but they're expensive and the threads are fine and prone to cross-threading.

Last edited: