Lots of work needed…

Visit site
Good Morning all,

First post in the East Coast Forum but I’m guessing many more to come as I’ve just bought my first boat and we will be based in the wonderful Essex rivers. Already learnt lots from this chapter just lurking!

She’s a 2000 Bavaria 38 and needs a little TLC to get her seaworthy. Including headsail, rudder bearings (I hope just bearings but it’s seized so could be more) standing rigging and a bit more on top of this.

With a weeping keel boat I’m also planning on having this rebedded. I’d like to have the hull sand/shot/mud blasted (less fussy on the method), keel removed blasted and rebedded then the hull copper coated.

So I’m looking for a temporary home on the east coast that can carry out these works, preferably has an open yard policy or is not significantly restrictive and will do a good job. Where would you take your pride and joy?

Also more than happy to hear who you think will do a good job of the other works too.

Thank You all ?

pvb

Visit site
So I’m looking for a temporary home on the east coast that can carry out these works, preferably has an open yard policy or is not significantly restrictive and will do a good job. Where would you take your pride and joy?

Shotley Marina has all the facilities to do the work, and is relaxed about DIY work being carried out.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think that any marina locally would have a problem with DIY, but employing an outside artisan might be different. Titchmarsh and no doubt others will charge for lending out spare boat keys held in the office, but it might be necessary to make detailed inquiries if professional work is to be done by outsiders if the same facilities are available at the marina..

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I've managed/run/worked at several east coast yards and, like anywhere else, there are good and bad... Shotley is good, Kings at Pin Mill (Gus and Sarah) is excellent. If you're prepared to travel a little way then my recommendation would be Upsons at Aldeburgh. Great people, great standard of work and happy to accommodate DIY owners.

pvb

Visit site
I've managed/run/worked at several east coast yards and, like anywhere else, there are good and bad... Shotley is good, Kings at Pin Mill (Gus and Sarah) is excellent. If you're prepared to travel a little way then my recommendation would be Upsons at Aldeburgh. Great people, great standard of work and happy to accommodate DIY owners.

Out of interest, what sort of boat lifting/moving/cranage equipment do Upsons have?

Tranona

Visit site
Good Morning all,

With a weeping keel boat I’m also planning on having this rebedded. I’d like to have the hull sand/shot/mud blasted (less fussy on the method), keel removed blasted and rebedded then the hull copper coated.

Thank You all ?

This is not a trivial job as the keel is both bolted and glued on. Did you have a survey before you bought and if so what did the surveyor say about the keel?. In normal use there should never be a problem with the bolts, although it is common as with other fin keels boats for the sealant between the keel and hull to break down and water get in which leads to rust weeps down the keel. This can often be cured by raking out and replacing the sealant without disturbing the keel. Also it is common to see rust staining around the nuts inside because of bilge water. This can give the impression that the bolt is weeping. Worth checking the outside of the keel in line with the suspect bolt. If there is a clear rust weepage down the keel at that point then it might indicate that the seal between the keel and hull has locally failed sufficient for water to get to the bolt (which is actually a stud).

Blasting and coating with Coppercoat is a good idea if you intend keeping the boat for some time. However getting epoxy and Coppercoat to adhere to a cast iron keel is a challenge. The first attempt on my new Bavaria failed after 3 years and despite patching I bit the bullet and blasted in year 5, Using Hempadur epoxy (6 coats) and then Coppercoat. The first epoxy must go on immediately after blasting to seal the casting. Seems to have worked although only a year since I did it.. Cost is around £2k for blasting hull and keel plus materials for DIY, but you need perfect application conditions if doing outside.

Rudder bearings available from Jefa , but you may well find the lower housing has corroded as well. When you get it back together if you don't use Coppercoat then make sure you use Trilux for a 100mm band around the lower bearing rather than normal antifoul.

Worth joining here bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php

Last edited:

Cobra

Visit site
Another shout out for Fambridge! We bought 'Pagan Lady' from there and their facilities are excellent.
If we lived closer we wouldn't think twice about basing ourselves there!

Visit site
Lots of love for Fambridge here so looks like a solid choice. I really like the relaxed feel of the place too!

Tranona, thank you for the detailed reply, it’s appreciated.

No survey yet however will most likely need one for insurance purposes. The boat needs quite a bit of routine maintenance work as it’s not been used in anger for a long time and the purchase price reflects getting it back up to scratch.

You’re quite right about the keel, I’m not 100% it’ll need rebedding yet but want to be prepared as don’t want it stuck somewhere that can’t do the work. Moving boats is a costly experience.

Always great advice here, thanks all.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Out of interest, what sort of boat lifting/moving/cranage equipment do Upsons have?
Apologies for slow reply.... I've just spent the winter there as a customer. Single concrete slip with different sized wheeled cradles to float the boat in to. All fairly rudimentary but well maintained, used properly and with care. Should imagine they're equipped for anything up to 40ft.

pvb

Visit site
Apologies for slow reply.... I've just spent the winter there as a customer. Single concrete slip with different sized wheeled cradles to float the boat in to. All fairly rudimentary but well maintained, used properly and with care. Should imagine they're equipped for anything up to 40ft.

A boat hoist is really needed for removing a keel.

pvb

Visit site
No survey yet however will most likely need one for insurance purposes. The boat needs quite a bit of routine maintenance work as it’s not been used in anger for a long time and the purchase price reflects getting it back up to scratch.

Out of interest, are you saying you've bought it without having a survey?

nigelm

Visit site
Lots of love for Fambridge here so looks like a solid choice. I really like the relaxed feel of the place too!

There are two parts to Fambridge, the yacht station & marina , both areas can cope with the jobs you require, in fact there was a Bav 38 that had been agound and had keel off fir checking not so long ago .
also the pub is a 5 min walk from there too

give me a shout when you arrive and I’ll pop by

Other threads that may be of interest