Losing more Lockkeepers - just in time for the new season

Appassionata

Visit site
"Sensitive information" my backside! It needs to get out there! I spotted a bit on Facebook this evening.

What a total, MONUMENTAL **** up! Waterways 'management' is not fit for purpose. The treatment of the sacked temps and remaining permanent lock and weir keepers is inhumane. The majority are good, kind, hard-working people and weir-keeping is a Dark Art that takes years to get as near right as you can.

My heart goes out to these people who love the river so......

Mushroom2

Visit site
Low cost airline crews are severely restricted as to how much of their leave they can take during the busy summer months.

As far as I know permanent lockkeepers have no such restrictions - just to add to boaters misery.

Chris_d

Visit site
Low cost airline crews are severely restricted as to how much of their leave they can take during the busy summer months.

As far as I know permanent lockkeepers have no such restrictions - just to add to boaters misery.
Years ago I suspect a Lock keeper wouldn't have dreamed of taking a two week break in the middle of the busy season, however times and the EA have changed. No assistance, militant boaters, poorly maintained infrastructure, I know when I would take all my leave! :(

billskip

Visit site
I lived on the Thames for about 10years had a boat at the bottom of the garden, as with most people free time was weekends and bank holidays...so it was a bit like rush hour every time I wanted to have a weekend away on the boat.
I found that it was far easier travelling outside lock keepers hours as most boaters would be tied up to the bank and too lazy to operate themselves. Lots would tie up in the lock cut and wait for someone like me to come along and open the gate's, they would all castoff and enter the lock, we'll I'd done my bit and just sat there with them all wondering what to do next.
Bit like traffic lights,when they fail there's less congestion.

billskip

Visit site
Oldgit, to be fair (for once!) to the EA, the Asda cashier does not get provided with a house to go with the job. And Barge, yes that is true, but looks very much not happening for them this year.
Asda cashier doesn't have to keep the garden and surrounding area clean tidy and presentable, adjust and monitor the wier, clean the public toilets, and get assistance from husband wife or partner (unpaid) during the busy tines,also doesn't need lifesaving and first aid qualification.

oldgit

Visit site
Asda cashier doesn't have to keep the garden and surrounding area clean tidy and presentable, adjust and monitor the wier, clean the public toilets, and get assistance from husband wife or partner (unpaid) during the busy tines,also doesn't need lifesaving and first aid qualification.
Wonder why you cannot recruit and retain career lockeepers, on call 24/7 in all weathers but only able to pay a rate that a supermarket can offer somebody after a short morning training on the till.
Whatever the shortcomings of the upper echelons of the EA management , you can no longer expect to provide a 1960s Champagne service on 2024 Beer Money. ?
The navigation needs more money or cut its cloth to suit its current public funding .............just like the rest of UK. PLC ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'm always happy to do the locks and have been mistaken for the lock keeper on a number of occasions but the liability thing is interesting.

If there are to be fewer employed lock keepers then more locks will be operated by non trained persons. This does not mean they do not understand what to do. Plenty of Boat owners will be fully au fait with the workings of a lock.

What interests me is the position if a Boat owner (myself as an example) were to be operating the lock with a full chamber and a terrible accident happens resulting in a load of children and a granny falling in and being crushed between Boats and eventually drowning.

How would the inquest view the fact that there was not a trained operative doing the lock controls?

When on public power most of the locks have no emergency override systems and one can not reverse the opening of the sluices.

Hopefully I would be able to point to this as the reason for the granny and kids having their last breaths mostly consisting of water but then why is there no safety override system?

Run around in circles screaming ?

oldgit

Visit site
I'm always happy to do the locks and have been mistaken for the lock keeper on a number of occasions but the liability thing is interesting.

If there are to be fewer employed lock keepers then more locks will be operated by non trained persons. This does not mean they do not understand what to do. Plenty of Boat owners will be fully au fait with the workings of a lock.

What interests me is the position if a Boat owner (myself as an example) were to be operating the lock with a full chamber and a terrible accident happens resulting in a load of children and a granny falling in and being crushed between Boats and eventually drowning.

How would the inquest view the fact that there was not a trained operative doing the lock controls?

When on public power most of the locks have no emergency override systems and one can not reverse the opening of the sluices.

Hopefully I would be able to point to this as the reason for the granny and kids having their last breaths mostly consisting of water but then why is there no safety override system?

Run around in circles screaming ?
Simple solution ? everybody elses grannies and kids seem to survive on other navigations using these low energy low tech solutions.

:)

Nobody is wearing those effete little gloves in worrying shades of Puce that are de rigour on old father Thames ?
Yes and you have to get off the boat.....................He who pays the piper.

Last edited:

Barge

Visit site
Heard on the grapevine but seems legit...EA are now re-recruiting 10 Relief Lock Keeper to be in situ by the May Bank holiday with contracts till 31st October

Just hope they look after their longstanding reliefs first... One of the newer ones is a right PIA who i try to avoid.