looking to get an electric anchor winch on my Sealine S23, exasperated trying to find an engineer to do this!!

Chi Man

Visit site
I am looking to get an electric anchor winch on my Sealine S23. So far, I have tried 7 engineers with no result, one completely disinterested, two are too busy, two did not turn up to have a look when they said they would and two had a look but have not heard back from them. I have chased all of them with no response. So, I am looking for a reliable person/engineer capable of fitting a winch, my boat is in Chichester marina. Any ideas/recommendations??

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I am looking to get an electric anchor winch on my Sealine S23. So far, I have tried 7 engineers with no result, one completely disinterested, two are too busy, two did not turn up to have a look when they said they would and two had a look but have not heard back from them. I have chased all of them with no response. So, I am looking for a reliable person/engineer capable of fitting a winch, my boat is in Chichester marina. Any ideas/recommendations??
Try Ocean Marine , it’s the silly season for us guys now

SC35

Visit site
Unfortunately the best time to book engineers is October / November.
Not May ... when they are all flat out, and can pick and choose.

stelican

Visit site
Not the easiest of jobs. Attachment point may need reinforcement.
Cable runs difficult to route and access.
Working in confined spaces always difficult, Easier ways for techs to earn their money.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Have you considered perhaps having a go at it yourself, with a friend to help you?
You would also receive a lot of help and guidance on here, especially if you post some photos of the bow area of your Sealine, and inside the anchor cable locker.
You might be pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of it you can do yourself re the installation - maybe leave the electrical connections to a technician if you are not confident about these?

Martin_J

Visit site
And you might find that (depending on your anchor type and the angle of the chain) the anchor will not self launch when you hit the 'down' button. Bit of a nuisance.

That could put you into changing anchor which might then have issues in the bow roller or even cause it to hit the gelcoat on it's way up.

You might also need to change the chain to 'calibrated chain' in order to match the windlass gypsy.

And finally, with a fast windlass and insufficient depth below it in the locker, you might then find that the chain piles up into a heap that then jams the incoming chain.

Just trying to say (as others have said) that it might not be as simple as mounting a windlass on a shelf and wiring it back to the battery.

Martin_J

Visit site
You could test the 'self launch' part yourself. When you pull the anchor in and then just hold the chain approximately where the windlass gypsy would hold it.. If you let the chain go forward slightly, does the anchor drop itself towards the water or does it just rest there, firmly settled in the roller?

If the latter then no amount of windlass 'down' will launch the anchor.

(Not trying to put you off but I did just install a windlass myself and found that when one thing is changed, there can be many knock on effects).

Chi Man

Visit site
Thanks everybody, I am on the sealine forum and asked the same questions, seems like the anchor windlass wiring was included in the original wiring loom which I have now located, perhaps this may get a more encouraging response from engineers. I understand this is an awkward job for anyone (easier ways to earn their money as Stelicon says !!). I only bought the boat in March hence my search for an engineer in this busy time. Previous boats I have owned had the chuck it over board and pull in by hand which was fine, however this boat is far heavier than my previous boats and the anchor is under the bow so too low down to pull in with my bad back! I have been recommended to a company called C Line in Southampton who are all ex sealine people so their knowledge should hopefully result in a positive response.

Chi Man

Visit site
thanks all, still no luck in getting an engineer to say yes or even come and look, C-line said no, thanks Thalassa76 will give them a call.
@martin j - yes the anchor drops freely