looking for couple for shared ownership of cat

V1701

Visit site
Sorry but if you're already two on a 38ft cat I don't really get why you think it will be so much "better" to be four on a (albeit newer) 40ft cat. You'll have less of everything boatwise & otherwise. What are you not getting from your current situation/boat?

Corona Mia

Visit site
Thanks for all the messages and advice, we are both very laid back but I can see how it could be very challenging at times to share a space with another couple. We have put the message out to family and friends and using our networks as someone you know may work better. We are also looking at having crew on board from time to time and sharing expenses. We are currently cruising on an older 38 ft cat in Croatia and Montenegro so looking forward to getting a better boat in the spring.
You’ve mentioned that you’re both experienced sailors, and are a laid-back couple.
So how about doing short term guest charters to finance the cost of the boat you would really like to own?
Ok you’ll need to run it as a business, which will involve some levels of ‘detail’ that you may not have considered.
On the other hand you have the potential to cruise the areas you want to explore, on a boat that you aspire to own.
You could also enjoy the pleasure of teaching some of your less experienced charter guests your skills, and hopefully enjoying their company in the process.

Surely a Win Win?

Kelpie

Visit site
You’ve mentioned that you’re both experienced sailors, and are a laid-back couple.
So how about doing short term guest charters to finance the cost of the boat you would really like to own?
Ok you’ll need to run it as a business, which will involve some levels of ‘detail’ that you may not have considered.
On the other hand you have the potential to cruise the areas you want to explore, on a boat that you aspire to own.
You could also enjoy the pleasure of teaching some of your less experienced charter guests your skills, and hopefully enjoying their company in the process.

Surely a Win Win?
It's not what I would want to do but it sounds like a workable plan, and has the advantage that everybody knows exactly where they stand with money and responsibilities. It's also not entirely unheard of, e.g. Sailing Britican do this I think.
Some people also take non paying guests who simply cover their own costs (e.g. the guy who wrote 'Get Real, Get Gone'). Potentially a grey area depending on how much money the 'guests' end up contributing, but could avoid the need to get the boat coded and insured for commercial use. I would tread cautiously if going down this route.

Tranona

Visit site
Suspect that would be unwise in a highly regulated charter industry in Croatia where the OP is based.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
It's not what I would want to do but it sounds like a workable plan, and has the advantage that everybody knows exactly where they stand with money and responsibilities. It's also not entirely unheard of, e.g. Sailing Britican do this I think.
Some people also take non paying guests who simply cover their own costs (e.g. the guy who wrote 'Get Real, Get Gone'). Potentially a grey area depending on how much money the 'guests' end up contributing, but could avoid the need to get the boat coded and insured for commercial use. I would tread cautiously if going down this route.
Other properly licensed charter operations will grass you up to the authorities.
Even if you are properly licensed but not a local, they will often make life difficult for you.