Looking for a small liveaboard

Lifejourneys39

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am doing my day skipper later this year and will be looking for a small sailboat (23-30ft) to cruise and liveaboard. My contract at work ends in January so will be looking to start cruising for a while with savings and try and earn some money along the way. Ideally I'd be looking to spend under 5k on a decent boat. I did see a nice leisure 23 for sale recently in my local area but sadly has since been sold. I am in Norfolk if anyone has any decent dealers they know of or could have reccomendations?

I will be single handed and ideally looking to do the jesters challenge when I get some experience.

Thanks everyone.

P.s. I am 5ft 6 so would like standing head room.

nortada

Visit site
Welcome to this forum and your dream.

We had a Snapdragon twin-keeled for a number of years, which could fill your bill. There are plenty for sale on the East Coast.

Lifejourneys39

Visit site
Welcome to this forum and your dream.

We had a Snapdragon twin-keeled for a number of years, which could fill your bill. There are plenty for sale on the East Coast.

Thanks for the reply. The snapdragon looks like a lovely boat. How does she sail? Is there any vices or things to look out for that you are aware of?

Also any tips you have found to get the best out of her? As you may tell I'm very new to sailing!

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The snapdragon looks like a lovely boat. How does she sail? Is there any vices or things to look out for that you are aware of?

Also any tips you have found to get the best out of her? As you may tell I'm very new to sailing!

Performance under sail is adequate rather than stellar but liveaboards tend to concern themselves with things other than how the boat sails.

Bajansailor

Visit site
A boat like a Snapdragon would be ideal for pottering about on the east coast, and getting experience with.

If you still want to do the Jester Challenge later on, you would be better off getting a boat then that is more suitable for the purpose.

V1701

Visit site
There's a huge difference between the amount of space you'd have in a 23 footer and a 30 footer. The fact that you're 5'6" is quite an advantage, if you were 6'2" you'd have far less choice. The smallest boat I've had & lived on for 2 years was an Albin Vega (older design, 27 feet, 5'8" headroom & I'm 5'7"), which was manageable (also living in a marina with nice facilities, shore power available, etc.) but in all honesty it was too small. A more modern design (but still an older '70's boat) Dufour 29, on the other hand, was more than adequate, palatial in comparison to the Vega. Trying to live on any 23 footer will be horrible in the winter.

Go see some boats, as many as you can, don't get hung up on makes/models. Condition is everything - age & condition of hull, sails, engine, standing rigging, bunk cushions, canvas work (sprayhood, etc.). A re-engined boat (one where the originally fitted engine has been replaced with a more modern one) would be a big plus. At the budget end you're not going to be concerned with fancy electronics, a depth sounder and VHF radio will suffice, you can use Navionics on a tablet or phone for navigation. Use the advanced search on Apollo Duck & see what comes up, look at boats asking up to £10k because a lot are overpriced initially. Do'er uppers always end up costing more in the long run, look for something that's good to go.

Good luck, I moved on to my first boat 11 years ago now & won't be going back anytime soon...(y)