Long term live-aboard cruising on European waterways cannot be over for us Brits

harvey38

Visit site
I think that perhaps some folk need to calm down a little, neither the EU nor the rest of the world is about to become off limits for UK sailors any more than it it is off limits for US, Canadian, Australian, Canadian or (even) Russian sailors.

In the 1990's we did a 7,000 mile loop of European inland waterways - France, Seine, Ardennes, Belgium, Rhine, Germany, Cheque R, Slovakia, Serbia, Danube, Romania, Black Sea, Istanbul, Sea of Mamara, Greece, Italy, Med, France, up the Rhone valley, Paris, Seine, back to UK - Not all EU, no such thing as Schengen, some borders, some check in/out, nobody called us 'little Englanders' - some minor irritations but WE DID IT!

Delivery 70' TSDY Malta to UK 1994 Malta- Gib check in at Gib for refuel a R&R no big deal, Check in at Lisbon for crew offload R&R again no issues, check in Guernsey for fuel / R&R, - and another Customs check in on arrival UK - again some minor irritations but we still did it!

1998 arrived Ft. Lauderdale Florida in UK registered 65' MB, 6 months visa, renewed every 6 months, still there 10 years later! US customs more than happy with it - we asked their rules and followed them.

If you are a TRUE 'Sea Gypsey' then you will be 'in transit' and justify your visit that way.

If you wish to leave your boat (but not yourself) in the EU Med permanently and become a 'Snow Bird' then you can justify it that way.

If you wish to take up residency in an EU country, pay their full taxes, contribute to the economy and health service - then you can do it that way.

But, if what you are really seeking, is to have it all ways, the best of everywhere but committed to nowhere - then you might well be asked to explain your motives to the host country - I don't see anything wrong with that.
Reckon you are correct, let the dust settle for a while and as always, money speaks so all visitors to the EU will be welcome as long as you are spending.....

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I think that perhaps some folk need to calm down a little, neither the EU nor the rest of the world is about to become off limits for UK sailors any more than it it is off limits for US, Canadian, Australian, Canadian or (even) Russian sailors.

In the 1990's we did a 7,000 mile loop of European inland waterways - France, Seine, Ardennes, Belgium, Rhine, Germany, Cheque R, Slovakia, Serbia, Danube, Romania, Black Sea, Istanbul, Sea of Mamara, Greece, Italy, Med, France, up the Rhone valley, Paris, Seine, back to UK - Not all EU, no such thing as Schengen, some borders, some check in/out, nobody called us 'little Englanders' - some minor irritations but WE DID IT!

Delivery 70' TSDY Malta to UK 1994 Malta- Gib check in at Gib for refuel a R&R no big deal, Check in at Lisbon for crew offload R&R again no issues, check in Guernsey for fuel / R&R, - and another Customs check in on arrival UK - again some minor irritations but we still did it!

1998 arrived Ft. Lauderdale Florida in UK registered 65' MB, 6 months visa, renewed every 6 months, still there 10 years later! US customs more than happy with it - we asked their rules and followed them.

If you are a TRUE 'Sea Gypsey' then you will be 'in transit' and justify your visit that way.

If you wish to leave your boat (but not yourself) in the EU Med permanently and become a 'Snow Bird' then you can justify it that way.

If you wish to take up residency in an EU country, pay their full taxes, contribute to the economy and health service - then you can do it that way.

But, if what you are really seeking, is to have it all ways, the best of everywhere but committed to nowhere - then you might well be asked to explain your motives to the host country - I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think the point is that we did "have it all ways" ... and some of us who were fortunate to get citizenship of an EU country still do.

Here's a good summary, bit long but full of detail ...

... there is one comment on this video ...

"Thanks for putting this together. Brexit makes me want to punch my f**king computer screen over and over again. "

syvictoria

Visit site
Stories from yesteryear and/or the rest of the world are largely irrelevant to the situation that British (non-EU passport holder) cruisers/travellers find themselves in now with regards to long-term travel within EU. As has been demonstrated in this thread (by their absence!), there isn't at present a raft of easily obtained visas that magic the problem away. Hopefully this will change over time. The British situation is different to other third countries only insomuch as our geographical proximity to Europe makes us more regular and numerous visitors to the EU. That said, the actual number of travellers who wish to exceed 90/180 and who do not already have residency or dual citizenship is tiny in the grand scheme of things, and governments (including UK) have far more pressing issues to deal with at present.

st599

Visit site
I dont know of any EU country that has a tourist visa that would enable you to stay longer than the 90 days in any 180.

France, although the terms are quite strict - you can't undertake any work but you must show you have enough income to provide 120 Euros per day if you're not staying in a hotel, show your reservations for accommodation and have good enough health insurance.

If you're working remotely, some countries like Croatia are starting digital nomad work permits - have to work remotely, can't provide services in Croatia, pay Income Tax in your home country.

One thing to note about the pre-EU anecdotes - each border crossing was handled individually back then. From later this year, Schengen border transits will be centralised in time for ETIAS roll out. The database software can easily flag an overstay - it's no longer down to individual border guards.

st599

Visit site
The Europa EHIC page says it's not an alternative to insurance.

As pointed out elsewhere, the amount of funds you need to prove access to to get a visa is also quite a big block - it's about 44k Euros for a 12 month France tourism visa (or 22k if you have pre-booked hotel accommodation) - remembering that the visa does not allow you to undertake paid work whilst in France.

Forty_Two

Visit site
What health insurance do they require for visas? EHIC will cover medical treatment charged to UK and as long as they don't require repatriation cover, maybe that will be sufficient.
For 90 days or less where UK nationals don't require a visa i expect the EHIC will suffice.

For the France long stay visitors visa (4-12 mths) they just say medical insurance with no further clarification on the application website.

From the Schenganvisainfo website:
France Travel Insurance - Health Insurance for Visitors & Tourists in France

"Medical insurance for the French visa must meet the following criteria:
  • Minimum coverage of at least 30,000 EUR (equivalent to 34,000 USD).
  • It should cover not only France but all member states of the Schengen Area.
  • Cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death"
As we don't need to apply for a Schengan Visa hopefully this won't apply. For us Brits it's going to be down to each country who may all take different views.

Caladh

Visit site
There have been several recent threads on this. The outlook is pretty bleak.
Some rays of hope:
- France has a long-stay tourist visa, costs about EUR80 per person and valid for a year. This doesn't confer any rights in other Schengen countries but would be very useful if taking the inland route to the Med
- if travelling as a couple or family, and one of you has an EU passport, you can get a (free) visa allowing your dependents to accompany you. This confers rights to travel around Schengen.
Can you point me in the right direction regarding EU passport holder and dependant travel please? My wife has an Eire passport !

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Can you point me in the right direction regarding EU passport holder and dependant travel please? My wife has an Eire passport !

This is the reply I received when enquiring. Although travel with EU spouse is unlimited, there is still the need to register presence if in one country >90 days.

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre.

As your spouse is a Portuguese citizen, he/she will continue to benefit from the rights set out in the Free Movement Directive when travelling, after the end of the transition period, to EU Member States other than that of which he/she is a national.

The Free Movement Directive applies not only to EU citizens who move to or reside in a host Member State but also to their family members as defined in point 2 of Article 2 who accompany or join them.

You will thus derive a right of entry and residence from your spouse when accompanying or joining him/her in the territories of EU Member States of which he/she is not a national.

However, as mentioned above, Member States may, where the EU citizen exercises the right to move and reside freely in its territory, require the family member who is a non-EU national to have an entry visa (Article 5(2)).

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 listing the countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement determines which non-EU nationals need a visa when travelling to EU Member States, except for Ireland. Annex I to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are required to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external border of the Member States. Annex II to the Regulation lists those non-EU nationals who are exempt from the requirement to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external borders of the Member States for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The text of the Regulation and its Annexes is available at the following website: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1571825109562 HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"& HYPERLINK "EUR-Lex - 32018R1806 - EN - EUR-Lex"uri=CELEX:32018R1806

Regulation (EU) 2018/1806 has been amended to exempt UK nationals intending to visit the EU from the visa requirement for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.

The above means that you will be able to travel visa free in your own right for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period in the EU (except for Portugal where your stay is not limited since you hold residence there).

It also means that you will be exempted from the entry visa requirement when accompanying or joining your spouse to visit the EU, without any limitation to 90 days in a 180-day period (Article 6(2) of the Free Movement Directive).

When you are travelling alone to other EU countries with the purpose to join your spouse , you would derive your right to entry from your spouse, as non-EU national spouse of an EU mobile citizen. You will not have to wait 90 days after already having spent there 90 days.

In order to verify whether you have a derived right of entry and residence, the host Member State may only require you to present a valid passport, a proof of family ties with your spouse (i.e. your marriage certificate) and proof that you, as the non-EU national spouse of a mobile EU citizen, are (or will be) joining your EU citizen spouse who is exercising free movement rights in a host Member State.

Please note that, regarding periods of residence that exceed three months in any host Member State, your spouse will need to have sufficient resources for you and himself/herself not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during the period of your residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State (Article 7(1) Free Movement Directive), unless he/she works or is self-employed in the host Member State.

Caladh

Visit site

We are talking 2021 and not the 1990’s. Rather than extending my freedom of movement, Brexit measures have now restricted mine. I do not wish to take up residency in another country as you suggest.

YOU like me have been lucky have done extensive cruising in the EU in another life. I’d like to do it again when time permits - unfortunately this is now extremely unlikely, unless as has been mooted, Schengen rules alter the 90 days to 180. FYI whilst visiting these countries in another life I did in fact contribute to their economies. I don’t feel I should have to justify any vacatIonal stay in countries I chose to visit other than providing my passport. Finally I’m hardly making full use of my asset if I am not allowed to get to it. Fair winds.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Seastoke

Visit site
We are talking 2021 and not the 1990’s. Rather than extending my freedom of movement, Brexit measures have now restricted mine. I do not wish to take up residency in another country as you suggest.

YOU like me have been lucky have done extensive cruising in the EU in another life. I’d like to do it again when time permits - unfortunately this is now extremely unlikely, unless as has been mooted, Schengen rules alter the 90 days to 180. FYI whilst visiting these countries in another life I did in fact contribute to their economies. I don’t feel I should have to justify any vacatIonal stay in countries I chose to visit other than providing my passport. Finally I’m hardly making full use of my asset if I am not allowed to get to it. Fair winds.
It’s obvious the EU don’t want you there for to long .

Nom de plume

Visit site

I agree with you.
We are indeed talking 2021 not the 1990's.
I would therefore suggest that 2021 rules (post Brexit) more reflect the 1990's (check in/out) than they reflect say 2015 (pre-Brexit)).
I will therefore be basing my cruising plans on the 2021 rules not the (now defunct) 2015 rules. You must make your own judgement as you see fit.
I managed to cruise extensively before the EU open borders, I shall do so again based on that knowledge. If you wish to do differently then good for you, I wish you good luck and fair winds too.

Tranona

Visit site
I agree with you.
We are indeed talking 2021 not the 1990's.
I would therefore suggest that 2021 rules (post Brexit) more reflect the 1990's (check in/out) than they reflect say 2015 (pre-Brexit)).
I will therefore be basing my cruising plans on the 2021 rules not the (now defunct) 2015 rules. You must make your own judgement as you see fit.
I managed to cruise extensively before the EU open borders, I shall do so again based on that knowledge. If you wish to do differently then good for you, I wish you good luck and fair winds too.
Respectfully suggest you are living in cloud cuckoo land. The rules have not reverted to pre 1990. There is no such thing as check in checkout at individual borders. Most of Europe is governed by Schengen and there is only one check in when you enter Schengen and one check out when you leave. The maximum time between the 2 events is 90 days out of 180 days. then you must leave the Schengen area and not re-enter for 90 days to start your next 90/180 period. Clearly if you are cruising Europe the places where you can spend the 90 days out with your boat are extremely limited.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
......... There is no such thing as check in checkout at individual borders. Most of Europe is governed by Schengen and there is only one check in when you enter Schengen and one check out when you leave.

Are you forgetting that marinas report boat and crew details/passports to authorities every time you check in, regardless of country?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Are you forgetting that marinas report boat and crew details/passports to authorities every time you check in, regardless of country?

Oh yeah!

They Bloody well dont in Ireland!

I had to chase the HM in Baltimore to take my money - found him in the pub - and when we moved to across the small Marina on the other side they took the money in the pub.

The Landlord, after we had bought some drinks and a meal, looked out of the window and said " Sure 'an its just a little boat - have yer money back! "

It was a 38 footer, so not so little.

Covid allowing, we are going back!

Passports, reporting to the police - not on your life. :cool: