Long slieved summer shirts.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I was in a mens clothes shop while visiting Brisbane and overheard two salesmen saying that a friend had managed to get hold of a Ben Sherman shirt and they were jealous.
I happened to be wearing a Ben Sherman Oxford button collar.
Me "what like this one?"
Salesman "Oh mate, do you wanna sell it"
Salesman 2 "whatever he offers, I'll top it"
Never thought I was a fashion icon or had a clothes shop trying to buy the shirt off my back before or since.

Sharky34

Visit site
Following on from the Tilley hat thread and concerning sun protection, where can one find light (cotton) long-slieved shirts. I love the sun but it's not reciprocal.

Ideally they should be gathered in at the wrists - a bit like pirate shirts of old - as well as a substantial collar which can be turned up.
Don't you need a shirt made out of anti-UV material like they use in Oz?

John the kiwi

Visit site
20200315_160529small.jpg

This is my sunhat now.
Bought in australia. (Machine washable.) I used to lather sunscreen on and come home from sailing with a real glow plus irritated eyes from sweat plus sunscreen.
Now i come home with a cool head and feel better for it! Its nice and cool to wear and stays on up to 25 knots wind speed.
Now like op looking for long sleeved shirts.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
View attachment 87029

This is my sunhat now.
Bought in australia. (Machine washable.) I used to lather sunscreen on and come home from sailing with a real glow plus irritated eyes from sweat plus sunscreen.
Now i come home with a cool head and feel better for it! Its nice and cool to wear and stays on up to 25 knots wind speed.
Probably best not to wear that when you go to the bank!

WayneS

Visit site
Try your local fishing shop. The real cheapies have advertising/embroidery all over them, but there are others without such decoration

Stemar

Visit site
View attachment 87029

This is my sunhat now.
You probably don't want to stray too close to a warship in Portsmouth Harbour looking like that!

John the kiwi

Visit site
Another bonus benefit to my sun hat was that other racing crews admitted to feeling a bit intimidated seeing me bearing down on them and wondering whether i would concede right of way! So get one of these and a steely look and you can be stand on boat on both tacks! ?

Daydream believer

Visit site
being 6ft 6 tall I need tops with long arms & long backs. So my family always buy me tops from Front Row. I like the ones with collars because, like the OP I suffer from the sun so regularly turn the collar up.
Some of mine have my different boat names as well, so I have to match top to whatever boat I am sailing. If they are with me, I also have to check colour of the day. So it can be confusing. So try to avoid logos.

Gilesferr

Visit site
Well worth getting something that will properly protect yourself. All the sailing clothing manufacturers and outdoors suppliers do spf shirts, don't skip out get something that will protect I have a black Musto one but never feel too hot in it, I work in sailing so gets lots of use, I'd consider it as important as sunglasses.

Anni D

Visit site
Following on from the Tilley hat thread and concerning sun protection, where can one find light (cotton) long-slieved shirts. I love the sun but it's not reciprocal.

Ideally they should be gathered in at the wrists - a bit like pirate shirts of old - as well as a substantial collar which can be turned up.

I sell light cotton summer shirts. Check out my page or message me Sailbird

Halo

Visit site
If you are out in the sun I suggest white colour. I suggest polyester material as they dry quickly.
I bought a few for the ARC. Landsend (mail order) are good but cotton so they take ages to dry. Gill are excellent , dry quickly and reasonable price . Musto are good but top dollar and not good value IMHO.
I would hestitate before paying a lot for them as they all seem to show underarm marks from deodrant very quickly. ( has anyone found a way round this other than stinking ??)