Long John Silver

FlyingSpud

Visit site
After 25 years of Skiing without injury, I managed to break my leg just before Easter. Had an operation in France and was shipped back last week.

The problem is that I am unable to stand, or put any pressure on my right leg at all for the next 2 months apparently. I’m in some sort of leg brace thing, not a cast.

So, how do I get onto the boat? Right leg dead straight and never to touch the ground? Also, how do I move around?

Long John Silver managed it after all.

Any ideas? Or any other thoughts on how the hell to cheer myself up as I sit here an you lot all set off?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I thought LJS had his leg chopped off. You could try that..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

FlyingSpud

Visit site
Did he? Umm, cutting it off seems a bit extreme

Maybe it is something to do with the parrot? You need it on your shoulder to act as a counterbalance. If so, given I still have a leg, perhaps I need something a bit bigger: a Labrador or something like that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
I know how you feel .. I was supposed to be helping a friend sail his new boat back to his home port and went and twisted my ankle (trying to get on horse that thought going backwards at the crucial moment was a constrcutive!) /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I reckon the moral of both our tales of woo are that we shouldn't deviate into other sports that aren't boat related...

janie

Visit site
Disabled hoist

Our Club has a hoist for lifting wheelchair sailors into boats (admittedly dinghies, but could possible clear lifelines. Might be worth enquiring where the nearest disabled facilities to you are!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Old fashioned lead divers boot on good foot for stability, helium balloons on dodgy foot to keep it up out of the way? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

FlyingSpud

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Interesting how my current position has given me a better insight into the provision of disabled facilities (or should I say lack of facilities).

I always saw skiing as being complementary to sailing essentially one starting as the other stops, save for that dull bit Novemberish when usually its too cold wet and miserable to go out in the boat.

Now, of course, the really sensible idea is the helium balloon and divers boot, but I can see me being split like a wishbone, so maybe the parrot could be trained to burst the balloon with its beak in the event of too great a load?

Do Allgadgets do parrots? Our local chandlery doesn’t.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Parrots

>Do Allgadgets do parrots? Our local chandlery doesn’t.<

Suggest you try Nauticalia. I seem to recall they had a nice parrot/barometer/marline spike number in finest hand-picked moulded pollyester, hand-coloured by the finest hand colourists in Taiwan.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
2 months isn't that long - avoid further injury, get the physio done then come back good as new rather than taking another tumble - possibly over the side and making things a whole sight worse.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif