London to Henley by boat

tworeefs

Visit site
Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes to get from say Richmond to Henley (on the Thames!). I will be in no great hurry, but have a wedding to attend next September and thought it might be fun way to get there.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Basically it takes 2 days. 1st day to Windsor, 2nd day to Henley that is taking it easy and not pushing yourself. Bear in mind bridge heights. Eton & Cookham Cut Bridges are the lowest as a rough guide you need get down to about 12' to get through them.

tworeefs

Visit site
Thanks....That sounds feasible and I imagine it's an interesting trip to do. The wedding reception and party are at a house with river frontage and in theory a boat would give a very convenient place to sleep.

All I have to do is now source a boat and convince my family that it's a good idea!!

theguvnor

Visit site
I did my neighbours wedding by boat. Picked up the bride at Maidenhead, took her to the wedding venue at Boulters Hotel. Lots of baloons & ribbons on the boat,and it makes a good filler between the meal and the dancing for bride & groom ( + the photographer) great success !

Forbsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
1st day to Windsor

[/ QUOTE ]

1st day????

I can't remember you drinking that fast! It normally takes me 3 days. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Ah but Forbsie you stop at every pub, waylay other boats and have a jar with them too, stop for stock at every town's off-licence and have the occasional nap to sleep it off. For you the journey will take the whole season /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rosssavage

Visit site
I've done St Kat's to windsor in a day twice, but it is pushing it....specially after the lock keepers go home! 11 locks and about 13 / 14 hrs non stop (make youself some sarnies before you leave...). I've also done St Kats to windsor twice taking two days, and it is a lot easier. Windsor to Henley is 7 locks and about 6-8 hours.

ianc1200

Visit site
I've done Teddington to Hurley many times at about 12 hours.

End of April 2006 we left Hurley at 2:30pm and arrived about 01:15 at Teddington lock, had to get going at 5:20 for the opening of Richmond sluices, but had some twatts wake us up at 4am playing in my dinghy!

IanC