log paddle wheel problem

davehu

Visit site
I think the continuity of the paddle wheel cable on my Stowe Nav 2 unit is faulty. Spinning the paddle by hand produces no readout. I assume the little magnets in the paddle operate some sort of switch in the body of the transducer. can I check the operation of the paddle wheel with a multi-meter, if so how, I am sure there are very knowlegable people on the forum who can help. The break is I think where the cable comes out of the paddle unit so if it is broken I assume that a repair is not possible.

Second, are all the Stowe Nav2 Unis capable of running the stowe trailing log instead of the paddle wheel

David

MoodySabre

Visit site
I never found mine gave a meaningful reading so I don't use it - annoying looking at a blank screen though it is. Spares available from A W Marine. I think most people needing to replace a Stowe instrument opt for something else as they are expensive.

amadeus

Visit site
What was your solution Davehu? I have bent the bearing pins on my 1995 Simrad paddlewheel and am having trouble finding a supplier of spares as A W Marine aren't answering the phone today. I wouldn't mind replacing the unit if it fitted into the same through hull plastic piece.

kandoma

Visit site
I did not get a replacement wheel because they are out of spares for my model, so I got a wheel from VDO and modified the axle and removed 2 out of 3 magnets and now it works very well. The VDO paddlewheel has 6 arms, thats the reason why a removed 2 out of 3 magnets.

Peter (I can't throw away anything....) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I assume the little magnets in the paddle operate some sort of switch in the body of the transducer.

[/ QUOTE ]I think that the Stowe transducers use the Hall effect rather than a reed switch. As has already been pointed out the little magnet can disappear from the paddle wheel. If you find this has happened it's easy to source and replace the magnet rather than pay out for a new paddle wheel - for which I was quoted a price of over £30 !!!

davehu

Visit site
I found out yesterday that Allan Williams who runs AW marine has recently died. The shop is shut and the future is unknown.

I have not yet found a solution, I would like to find a transducer that fitted into my hull socket as well. Keep in touch if you find a solution. Your tnasducer and mine would probably make one good one if either of us find an alternative

david