Lodestar Inflatables

trevorr

Visit site
I am in the market for a new Dinghy and the most recent Yachting Monthly Review I can find rates the above dinghy very well.

Does anyone have any real life experience with the Lodestar before I part with my hard earned cash?

Good Bits / Bad Bits / Niggles etc.

Thanks in advance.

Trev

Alyssa

Visit site
Lodestar NSA 260

Purchased a Lodestar NSA260 from Roche Marine in 2005. Since 2008 has been used fairly extensively in the Med for several months each year. Sometimes towed, sometimes on the foredeck and sometimes deflated and stored below.

At the time of purchase it came out best after Avon/Zodiac in yacht mag tests and very much cheaper! No criticisms at all. The inflatable floor and keel are excellent. Also have had very good service from Roche (purchasing spare valve and repair patches). Highly recommended.

sailor211

Visit site
Very pleased with our 290 now 5 year old. It performs well and much better than the floorless Avon it replaced. The lodestar tows well. wins easily with both 2 and 4 hp outboards. No obvious damage draging it up the beach etc.

It took time to learn to assemble in the correct order/ at the correct stage to get the seat in without too much effort.

This season i sealed some of the wood parts that were suffering from damp.
Worst thing is the bag! plastic clips do not take load and it is not designed to lug from locker to foredeck.

Overall I would reccomend it,I have never thought i should have has another make.

sailorman

Visit site
I am in the market for a new Dinghy and the most recent Yachting Monthly Review I can find rates the above dinghy very well.

Does anyone have any real life experience with the Lodestar before I part with my hard earned cash?

Good Bits / Bad Bits / Niggles etc.

Thanks in advance.

Trev

i had a lodestar prol 15 yrs old as good as new

cgull

Visit site
I have one, used it extensively and found it excellent. Not the cheapest to buy but certainly good, the keel makes it good to manoeuvre and inflatable floor very good. Many features, like grab ropes all round, big pump etc.

NC16

Visit site
Lodestar 290

I bought a new Lodestar 290 this year. Getting all the various bits inflated in the right order when we used it for the first time was a bit fiddly. But having used it several times over the summer I think it handles well and it is a very dry boat. I would definitely recommend them.

Leighb

Visit site
We bought one at the Soton show 3 yrs ago, no problems at all, except a minor one on delivery, the little attachment bracket at one end of the thwart was cracked. I rang Lodestar, they put a new one in the post and included a free rescue knife "as compensation"

Pretty good service I thought.

It rows and motors well, and the rigid floor means your feet stay dry even if there is a little water on board.

stephenc

Visit site
Beware!!!!!!

I bought a Lodestar rib a couple of years ago at the London Boat Show from the UK agents . The rib now has a severe case of osmosis which I foolishly assumed would be quickly dealt with by the UK agents and Lodestar under their five year guarantee.
Four months have now past and nothing has been resolved with the UK agents becoming as frustrated as myself at the lack of interest being shown from Lodestar HQ in Holland.
Lodestar's website promises the the earth but so far in my experience provides absolutely nothing.

andyc

Visit site
I bought a Lodestar rib a couple of years ago at the London Boat Show from the UK agents . The rib now has a severe case of osmosis which I foolishly assumed would be quickly dealt with by the UK agents and Lodestar under their five year guarantee.
Four months have now past and nothing has been resolved with the UK agents becoming as frustrated as myself at the lack of interest being shown from Lodestar HQ in Holland.
Lodestar's website promises the the earth but so far in my experience provides absolutely nothing.

Mine too ,Im glad I am not the only one.
Severe Osmosis like over the whole bottom and absolutely no return of emails from either roche marine or lodestar in Holland or china or wherever they are now...
Never been sat in the water for more than a few hours.
Poor show!!!!!!!!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Got a 230. Great dink. Two probs. 1 v heavy to heave in and out of a cockpit locker. 2 the wrap around 'bag' is rubbish and so are the placcy clips that are supposed to hold it shut.

Also, not a problem, but you do need to find the knack of locking and unlocking the oars in the rowlocks.

Last edited:

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have had a 260 for some years after it came out as best in a YM review. It has not been heavily used but it certainly has lived up to its billing when it has, and will almost plane with just my son (an adult but lighter than me) on board with a 3.3 HP outboard. the spray strip makes it quite dry compared to other dinghies I have experienced.

Blue Fox

Visit site
I have a Lodestar 250 lightweight for two years now, and am quite satisfied with it. It is much drier than the quicksilver 270 I had before. And it planes easily with an adult plus 4 hp outboard. It is indeed lightweight, very easy to handle and lift. Only negative point: the oars are difficult to separate - so I usually leave them in one piece.

pisspoor

Visit site

You might want to check out this site to decide what to next

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales...er_or_manufacturer_wont_accept_your_claim.htm

PP

asteven221

Visit site
I bought a Lodestar lightweight dingy as it was the lightest on the market at that time. It has some bits missing to make it lightweight like the rubbing strip. I was a wee bit dubious of the fact it might be a bit lightweight for serious tendering, but it's now some 5 years old now and still looks like new. It planes with a Yam 4hp.

Can't fault it really.

temptress

gbr195t.com
we live aboard and have had a Lodestar for the last 6 years. Best dinghy we have ever had! Not the cheapest or lightest but certainly the most durable and best constructed one we have ever owned. No niggles just a good tender.

highly recommended by us.

alteredoutlook

Visit site
I had a lodestar standard dinghy - very well made - but far too heavy - especially if you have to carry it to the foredeck to inflate it.
I got fed up with ot breaking my back. Next time I'd buy the 'lightweight' version

chrisD

Visit site
I have owned a 4 man Lodestar lightweight for about 10 years. It is still wearing well and has been very stable and adequate in normal estuary conditions. I would buy again and would go for the lightweight again.