Lochmaddy Marina unusable

steve yates

Visit site
I

Unlike other contributors, I am anchored in Loch Maddy. I am judging by the evidence.
I prefer to anchor, so the lack of a pontoon doesn't bother me personally, but knowing that there are toilets, showers and washing facilities behind a locked gate, shows a distinct lack of initiative. I have said all I am going to say on the matter.
You are taking seperate bits of visual evidence and making them fit a statement that suits your own aggrieved inconvenience.

Your conclusion is that; because you cannot go and have a piss and a wash in a facility that is CLOSED to visiting leisure craft, ( for well known and well well publicised reasons) the directors and management of this local initiative should be sacked and replaced.
Nice. And you think the £2 you pay for your wash and pee will pay for the wages of someone to clean and service the toilets and showers? I was there for two days when it was open and I saw three people use those facilities.
So why on earth should they be open? They are not public conveniences run by the council.

NormanS

Visit site
You are taking seperate bits of visual evidence and making them fit a statement that suits your own aggrieved inconvenience.

Your conclusion is that; because you cannot go and have a piss and a wash in a facility that is CLOSED to visiting leisure craft, ( for well known and well well publicised reasons) the directors and management of this local initiative should be sacked and replaced.
Nice. And you think the £2 you pay for your wash and pee will pay for the wages of someone to clean and service the toilets and showers? I was there for two days when it was open and I saw three people use those facilities.
So why on earth should they be open? They are not public conveniences run by the council.
I'm not going to lower myself to your level of abuse, but for your information, when the gate is open, as it was yesterday, the facilities are available to the general public, not just elitist yotties. Absolutely nothing to do with a pontoon which at present is reserved for commercial craft.

awol

Visit site
I'm not going to lower myself to your level of abuse, but for your information, when the gate is open, as it was yesterday, the facilities are available to the general public, not just elitist yotties. Absolutely nothing to do with a pontoon which at present is reserved for commercial craft.
I do hope you closed the gate behind you.

SaltIre

Visit site
Do they have an Honesty Box inviting donations? Or did you get to spend a penny at no cost?

steve yates

Visit site
Abuse? Where? Don’t be ridiculous.

scottatsea

Visit site
I think that is quite unfair. I am not close to this but think the small community group have been trying very hard to get compensation for the damage so they can reinstate the yacht pontoons.
There have always been work boats at the inner end - which is mostly too shallow for deep keeled yachts.
And there are costs associated with running toilets and showers. With no berthing income who would pay for the cleaning and the electricity.
I am sure the Lochmaddy group would love to be able to welcome yachts back.
Just to clarify we are now open again but without the hammerhead, electricity and water. There is a temporary water supply however and my hope would be the electricity and water will be sorted latest 2nd week in August.
We also have a vending machine and coffee machine. Shower and toilet are open.
We also have the best sunset in the Western Isles 😃

Keep in mind that we support two local companies with some 30 jobs that depend on having pontoon access 24/7 so whilst some are unimpressed, they were prioritised deliberately for reasons that are hopefully obvious. We are also in this situation through no fault of our own.
Dunedin you are spot on with your assessment and like most local marinas we are all volunteers and do what we can with what we have.
Wishing you all a great 2024 season and it would be great to see at least some of you in Lochmaddy.

scottatsea

Visit site

Thanks for the update Scott, might see you later in the season.
That'll be great if you can make it here. All the best.