Locating an existing running forestay chainplate

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
Hi

I have a Dufour 36P. The manual clearly shows that there is an inbuilt “running forestay chainplate” at point 4. However on the deck there is no pad eye or mark where the strongpoint is precisely located.

I want to bolt in to the strong point but am anxious about cutting exploratory holes in the deck. Unsurprisingly, Dufour have failed to respond to me despite messages and e mails.

Anyone have any good ideas?

4C027546-0250-4402-9F92-76E1BDC45FA2.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D1FCC9B-DFF3-4D56-8985-72D9C3DCF8DF.png
    6D1FCC9B-DFF3-4D56-8985-72D9C3DCF8DF.png
    825.7 KB · Views: 32

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, metal detectors such as here toolstation.com/hand-tools/pipe-detector/c1191 which will tell you if there is a plate, probably aluminium boded into the moulding. You may also be able to detect ant any reinforcing of the deck from inside.

Given the location it may well be an L shaped plate bonded to the deck and the vertical bulkhead which is what one might add if fitting an inner forestay.

Neeves

Visit site
The obvious, or sensible, location, as Tranona points out would be at a bulkhead which may exist at the aft of, what appears to be, the anchor/chain locker. It would be very strange to bond such a reinforcement into the moulding without obvious access. I'd look in the forward locker and I'd try to find an owner or agent before removing the head lining.

Another clue might be the absence of non slip at the precise location of the plate - to allow better seating of a plate which would then be thru bolted to the hidden plate.

I note the absence of reply from Dufour, is there a local UK agent/distributor or an owners forum? Its difficult to believe, no disrespect intended, that you are the only person to enquire.

Google can be really useful :)

https://www.dufour.org.uk/forums/

Jonathan

PS - what is a 'running' forestay? Is it different to an inner forestay?

shsfish

Visit site
FarmerWilliam we have a Dufour 36p with the padeye installed. It is used for the spinnaker downhaul though there is a drawing I was sent showing an extra bracket which can be added to support an inner forestay. We haven't found any specs for the system with the bracket nor any dimension for the bracket and its bolts. I can give you measurements from ours for the padeye if you still need them.

Attachments

• Dufour 36E (16).jpg
    Dufour 36E (16).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image001.png
    image001.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 30

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
Hello Shfish. That is really helpful. A few things. Do you have the drawings of the installation?
Is the underside of the padeye accessible or visible from below deck. I am assuming it somehow integrates with the bulkhead.
Do you know if the threaded plate is factory installed ?
Our problem is that we don’t want to drill holes for the padeye bolts without knowing the precise location.

Where is your boat moored ? Perhaps I could visit ????

shsfish

Visit site
I don't have drawings but next time I'm at the boat I can make some measurements. The padeye bolts are visible in the V berth roof and there is a backing plate there. We don't have the bracket in the drawing in the bottom of image001.png - that is what I am trying to get more information about.

The boat is in Brisbane, Australia. You're welcome to visit, but might be a few hours flying....

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
Hah. Would be nice to pop down to Brisbane ! That all sounds very helpful indeed. The photos and measurements will be invaluable- including from inside.

shsfish

Visit site
Here are some pictures and measurements. The strong point is a wichards product about 55mmx80mm. The backing plate is about 3mm thick and 64mmx100mm. The dimensions on the pictures are to the bolt centre as best I could measure it. The outside picture is measured from the edge of the anchor locker. The inside picture is measured from the wood at the head of the vberth. The measurement from the lip of the groove that the wood fits into to the centre of the bolt was about 35mm as a cross check. If you are ever in La Rochelle try to find DuFour and you might be able to buy the whole kit including bracket. If you succeed, let me know..... Bit hard to do that from here.

Attachments

• looking down from outside1.jpg
    looking down from outside1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 14
  • looking up in v berth 1.jpg
    looking up in v berth 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 13

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
Thanks very much shfish. I have shared with my Co owners and our technical guy.
We are getting excited about a new season. The boat has just been relaunched and mast restepped. We found hairline cracks in the spreaders and needed new ones. Annoying as the standing rigging and spreaders were all replaced three years ago. The rigger said that we should keep a reasonable amount of backstay tension downwind in stronger conditions. I think we have sailed at times in feisty conditions plus spinnnaker without adequate backstay on. We actually hit 18.6 knots in a race last year. During but we had 12 knots sustained!

Attachments

• 33EA71CD-8B64-4729-B034-782C8B2787FF.jpeg
    33EA71CD-8B64-4729-B034-782C8B2787FF.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 7