Local discrimination

Tranona

Visit site
Speaking on behalf of myself, i currently have no intention of living aboard full time, i would like to as a continuos cruiser in the med but that would be in a couple of years and id be a visitor in these regards anyhow.
I rent a property so no, im not lacking a home.
I was actual just enquiring to the business for a leisure mooring and offering to pay for the year upfront, this is what i find abit strange about their decision to not offer me anything.
Sorry if I got the wrong impression about you living aboard, but as I said your original post was not clear. There must be more to this than meets the eye. It is not so unusual for a boatyard to turn down new applicants. In fact for many years yards and marinas operated waiting lists. This has eased now, partly because so many people, particularly at the lower end of the market are getting out of boating, hence the storage yards full of worthless old boats rotting away. The fact that they require a deposit to new enquirers suggests that they already have enough customers and are not actively looking for more and your business is of no immediate interest to them. On the other hand there are signs that UK boating is on the rise because of the coming travel restrictions. Sales at the higher end of the used boat market have rocketed and there is a severe shortage of decent cruising boats. Inevitably this is going to lead to pressure on berths and moorings as more people start holidaying in the UK.

Can't see how you can say it is discrimination against a local, or did they say, no, we don't want you here because you are a local?

Seastoke

Visit site
I agree with above, comment on how they may be able to make up the money in a matter of months and thats opens the doors for larger profits throughout the season, but surely in a lockdown situation tourism is likely to be hindered and it seems unfair to not allow a local to enjoy the same pleasure derived from sailing as any visiting craft.
The idea is to get as much business and demand to expand a business surely not?
Perhaps i didnt articulate my point correctly but with new movement restrictions and many boaters losing a large chunk of savings this year, i see banking on a speculative outcome whilst turning away business as rather risky for any established business in the tourism sector, a small loss is always preferred to a large loss?
You are mixing tourism and residential , do they have planning for water live aboards