Lobster Pots

richardandtracy

Visit site
My [internet free] neighbour wants a lobster pot to put down when he's fishing. Just 1, for a couple of hours wherever he stops.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells them (mail order or Medway) or any site that shows a design for one that could be home made?

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

GrahamC

Visit site
There once was a company called "Leaky" that made collapsible creels and advertised in YM, try the Fishing News for suppliers of these items, or even walk the tideline for the remnants that might be repaired. Easterly gales wash a few ashore up here in Scotland. I doubt if a couple of hours will give you a gourmet lunch though, good luck.
GrahamC

<hr width=100% size=1>

gtmoore

Visit site
Gael Force sell fishing gear <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gaelforce.net>http://www.gaelforce.net</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin

seaesta

Visit site
Sounds like a great way to further undermine relations between those b*st*rds who lay lobster pots with unnessessarily slack lines all over the sea bed, in harbour mouths and fairways and and us poor boaters who are constatntly at risk of entanglement.
Whenever your mate is seen by the "professional" crustacian gatherers it will be assumed he has either nicked a pot, is emptying someone else's pot, or is stealing someone's livelihood. As crabs and lobbies are nocturnal he is unlikly to get much in a few hours whilst fishing. Tell him not to bother stirring up trouble for no good reason.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ThomasHome

Visit site
There are hundreds knocking around south of Chichester Harbour, seem to spend the entire journey from Portsmouth to Chichester bar avoiding them, I'm sure that many boaters would like to see less rather than more of them.
If you have to put one down, don't forget to use the darkest 5 litre container you can find as a float, to make it as hard as possible for sailors to see it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
Didn't know they were nocturnal. Learn something new every day. My neighbour won't be pleased - however he's always optimistic.
Personally I loathe anything that tastes of the sea, and think the best place for sea life is in the sea.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jtwebb

Visit site
Experience shows they prefer 2 litre milk bottle containers. Also, ensure the scope is such that it is under the water at high tide. If blue make sure it is covered in weed and half full of water. Latest near Beachy Head seems to be little white balls, they are superb as they can be confused with a seagull. Never follow the published code of practice which the RYA believe is the final answer to the problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>J Webb

aod

Visit site
And please don't forget to tell your neibour to paint his name and address on the said blue weed covered 5 gallon drum so that when some poor bugger snares it and has to have their yacht or power boat lifted and the P bracket/prop shaft/rudder replaced they can sue him.

I am blo*dy certain that if I snare one of these buggers again and again nearly lose the yacht as a consequence I will make it a life quest to find the bas***d that laid it and sue him/her for everything I can.

I am amazed that you have posted this on this forum without first looking at all the posts concerning this cancer of idiots laying pots all over the place!

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
My neighbour wasn't going to put a float on it at all. The line would be permanently tied to the rail.
However, after finding they were nocternal, he said he probably wouldn't bother anyway - he has no intention of staying out all night as he's only got a 19ft Silhouette and doesn't reckon he'd be happy sailing alone at night.

As for 'Cancer of idiots', I don't believe he falls in this category, otherwise I wouldn't have put up the post. I'm certain he wouldn't risk loosing a pot, if for no other reason than he's as skint as I am and can't afford to replace a lost one..

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
Needles Fairway, off Selsey and pretty much all the way down to the West Country.

<hr width=100% size=1>Yachting Universe
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtinguniverse.com>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com</A>

Visit site
How many of these "professionals" actually support a family and a mortgage SOLEY by their potting activities?

I think you will find that many (not all) do it as a sideline or on behalf of some local restaurant as part of a general jack of all trades "salty" lifestyle.

To suggest that they have absolutely exclusive rights to the fruits of the seabed is preposterous.

I too think that this chap is probably wasting his time but that's his affair.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>