Living on narrowboat

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Not really the normal sort of boat discussed on this forum but giving it a try.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy/rent a narrow boat to live on but don't know where to start. Work may be taking me away from the south coast to a the Reading/Henley area and thought it may be fun/interesting/cheaper to live on the river.

Ok questions . .
What would a liveable narrow boat cost?

What is mooring like if I want to keep it on the Thames or a canal?

Are there any legal issues I need to be aware of?

Would obviously need a boat with a shower and mod con's, if you are a long term berth holder what happens with paying for water/electricity??

Pretty clueless at the moment so any info would be interesting.

thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Yep. You can buy a banana boat. Would think a good one would cost 50 grand. But course there will be alsorts of sizes and prices. Do a google or whatever search for narrow boats for sale or buy a mag. It needs a waterways certificate, but probably has one, and a waterways licence, then bobs yer uncle. Might want to think about keeping it in a marina for electric etc.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

redhot

Visit site
Yes, it's strange, not many Narrowboaters come here.

I live on a 45ft narrowboat with my wife and 6 year old daughter. We too are in Reading. We moor in a marina for the winter at a cost of £1500 for October to March and then in April we "cruise" the Thames around Reading.
However, I have heard stories of people mooring in the same place except to move for water for around 6 months, so just try it and see how it goes.

We paid £12500 for our boat in Nottingham and bought it down on the canals, but it needed quite an extensive refit inseide and I had to purchase things like a water heater, Genny and an inverter.

One thing I will say is get a boat with as large a fresh water tank as you can, we have found this to be our main bugbear as we only have 50 gallons and there are three of us.

If you need any further info, or would like to pop into Reading and check out my boat / mooring, PM me a phone number and I'll call you and arrange something.

Hope this helps
Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Say_Cheese

Visit site
I am looking at the doing the same thing.
This place deals with narrowboats for sale www.vcmarine.co.uk
I am learning just like you as well. Go to High Line Yachting in Iver, bucks and ask all the qustions you want. It is what I did and they were really helpful.

You can get residential moorings on the Thames but they are like hens teeth. It is not what you know but who you know.

On a residential mooring you still have to pay council tax and mooring fees as well as river license and water/electricity. If you are looking for a really cheap way to live find a cheap flat.

Go to the RBOA website detailed above and send them £8.50 for their guide to living afloat. I did and it gives you loads of really useful info.

<hr width=100% size=1>

redhot

Visit site
There is a kind of "loophole" in the liveaboard law.
It's called continuous cruising.
Ask people about that and you will have a headache..
We decided to take the liveaboard move after much deliberation.

I know people that have been in the same place on the Thames for 7 months not paying council tax or mooring fees, and have not been challenged by the EA, the only problem with that is water, power and waste disposal.

We are currently moored in a Marina for the winter, but are looking forward to another summer out on the river.

Thanks
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>