Living Aboard

ELRIKA

Visit site
I am considering buying a boat outside the EU to live on for 3 to 5 yrs whilst we travel around the world. Will I have to pay VAT on the boat if I enter EU waters? If so are there any exceptions that you may know of?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
If you are not EU resident you can claim exemption: temporary importation relief. This permits you to bring the yacht into the EU for up to 18 months without paying VAT or import duty, provided you don't sell, charter, loan it etc. If you are away for 3 - 5 years you won't be resident. But (and I'm assuming you are British) you do need to establish non-residency with the IR, and it has other implications for taxes and benefits entitlement. You automatically become resident again if you spend more than 6 months in the year back here. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/leaflets/c9.htm>See here</A> for details.

colvic

Visit site
There a Brit pensioner on a boat in Barcelona who couldn't even get a library ticket let alone a bus pass etc. when back in the UK for three months last winter. No longer resident sir, no permanent address, not on the lectoral role...can't have anything. Went along next day and said he was homeless. Following day given B&B accomodation. Bus pass etc. would have been cheaper.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>