Living Aboard: Essential Kit

Kelpie

Visit site
I've never discovered the pleasure of sitting in a hot and sweaty laundromat for several hours a week, so an adequate watermaker, washing machine and the 'lectrickery to run it all while sir sits in the shaded cockpit sipping his wine.
You're doing it wrong. Put laundry on, leave empty bag in case you're not back when it finishes, go to shops. It's called multi tasking my dear :)

GHA

Visit site
I've never discovered the pleasure of sitting in a hot and sweaty laundromat for several hours a week, so an adequate watermaker, washing machine and the 'lectrickery to run it all while sir sits in the shaded cockpit sipping his wine.
+ very good tool kit & spares for when it all breaks, which is the only think everything on a cruising boat wants to do......?

Star-Lord

Visit site
Air con. My general rule of thumb is if the marina office has air con then so do you. It is all very well saying that you will be at anchor all summer so you do not need air con (I have no geny so only use air con on shore power) but Murphy Will have you in a stinking hot marina! Maybe not the first year but it will happen. Like another lockdown for example. Or something breaks etc. And marina prices are always more in the summer so if you are going to pay to stay in a furnace - the air con will sweeten the pill.

GHA

Visit site
Essential is a moveable feast.
Highly desirable might be easier to define.
After all, water, food and shelter are essential but don’t guarantee a comfortable life.

I’ll put watermaker as highly desirable. Fridge and freezer also.

After that, I’m not so sure
On a cruising boat I'd put being able to weld in the galley on the hook above those, well maybe not the fridge. ??

S'pose it's very dependent on how far off the beaten track you think you might end up. The boat comes first, then you get to choose your luxuries ?

Blueboatman

Visit site
Okaaaay
Bit left field for most but here goes :

A Bulletproof hull, rig and sails and windvane.
And a boat that is a pleasure-nay, an absolute joy- to sail in lots of varied and changing conditions .

Bung in a cool box , a couple of buckets and an interior that could be literally hosed out without trouble..

Alright , a battery and a masthead light and a solar panel , call it ‘level2’ upgrades ?
… and there’s a jolly good start to pretty good cruising ..
Lugging white goods around isn’t for me but all these things are nice and convenient to own during the early years of their lifespan anyway …