Living Aboard: Essential Kit

laika

Visit site
Decent lighting below decks. The live aboard experience was vastly improved by a couple of stupidly expensive high cri leds in the saloon. This may not be so significant for you folks swanning around the med and lounging under the stars, but for uk liveaboards huddling inside against the winter cold I suggest that quality lighting can have a significant positive impact on mental health.

A cockpit table. When I bought my boat it had a table but no leg to support it so we would eat on our laps or faff about hanging it up from the boom. The addition of a folding extendable leg was a little thing which actually made a bit impact to the enjoyability of lounging about in the cockpit.

A hammock. hours of fun trying to work out the best way to rig it and never being entirely satisfied

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Decent lighting below decks. The live aboard experience was vastly improved by a couple of stupidly expensive high cri leds in the saloon. This may not be so significant for you folks swanning around the med and lounging under the stars, but for uk liveaboards huddling inside against the winter cold I suggest that quality lighting can have a significant positive impact on mental health ….

I think you are quite right. A point that is easy to miss.

Star-Lord

Visit site
The cheapest essential item is the electric (rechargeable) mosquito tennis racquet (the yellow head, black handle) from Amazon. You can get a pack of 2 of the smaller size which are easier to use on a boat than the regular size. Most kills are by spotting the target on a surface. Just press the button and gently place the racquet on top of the target. It then flies up into the electric sizzling mesh. This is a lot easier than swotting and has at least a 90% sucsess rate. Practice is the key.

Last edited:

Stingo

Visit site
The cheapest essential item is the electric (rechargeable) mosquito tennis racquet (the yellow head, black handle) from Amazon. You can get a pack of 2 of the smaller size which are easier to use on a boat than the regular size. Most kills are by spotting the target on a surface. Just press the button and gently place the racquet on top and the mosquito. It then flies up into the electric sizzling mesh. This is a lot easier than swotting and has at least a 90% sucsess rate. Practice is the key.
And those rackets give off a most satisfying crack as the mozzie gets electrocuted