liveaboard near southampton

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Hi - Can anyone recommend a mooring as close to Southampton UK as possible which will let me live aboard? Currently the boat is up on planks at £120/month with no liveaboard permitted. I don't know if it's just me or not, but that seems kind of steep. n.

n.

johnwest

Visit site
There are of course many marinas in the area. An average cost will be in the parish of £400-500 / m / year. that is assuming that you are afloat. however most marinas, in their terms and conditions, state that live-aboards are not allowed, but a lot of marinas turn a blind eye so long as discretion is used.

j

pragmatist

Visit site
We were at Shamrock Quay about 9 yrs ago (sorry a bit out of date) but there were plainly liveaboards - off to work in posh frocks after 8 am. Not the nicest place IMHO but convenient. Having been a liveaboard in at least 2 places the trick is often not to say "I want to live on my boat" as often council regulations will prohibit - something like "need to stay for a few weeks/months - need to be in the area" works around the regs

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
Kemps Quay do in fact allow live aboards, I belive they are the only one in Southampton (but may be wrong). There are currently 5 live aboards on the quay.

Kemps is also one of the best priced marinas in the Solent and we have found since moving here infinatly more friendly and customer orientated than MDL etc.