Liveaboard marinas?

Spock1701

Visit site
Hi I am looking for a marina that accepts Liveaboards. I heard there a few in Brighton, Eastbourne and Newhaven? Can anyone confirm this or suggest a marina in the vicinity that accepts liveaboards.

saxonpirate

Visit site
None accept liveabords. Some turn a blind eye so long as you keep your head down. Long thread here previously, use google site=ybw.

I'm afraid I've got to reiterate what Lucy52 says above, liveaboards are not encouraged. Especially if the marina is popular and full.

The thinking is.. why take on the hassle of permanent boat people when its far easier and less hassle to cater for the (generally richer) visitors, who arrive, spend money, and depart..

Many years back I was a resident for quite some time on my boat in a SW marina. There were many liveaboards then, and a very congenial atmosphere. Not so today. It has become yet another boat park, and big money is very much in evidence by way of the huge motor vessels there. At £5,500 a year + electricity for a 33' sailing boat, it ain't cheap either.. I certainly have no desire to be there again..

To return to the original question of liveaboard marina's.. turn up for a winter berth, keep your head down and live aboard. See how things unfold once you've got the lay of the land as it were.. Good luck.. :encouragement:

maby

Visit site
My experience is that vanishingly few marinas officially accept liveaboards, but most tolerate them. I think it is mostly a question of legality and planning permission - marinas fall under the control of local government and if they officially accept liveaboards, they effectively put themselves into the same category as trailer parks - they would need formal planning permission in much the same way as any new housing development.

We are not true liveaboards, but we spend more than 50% of our time on the boat - all the year round. When we moved marina recently, I specifically asked if they accepted liveaboards and the marina manager told me (verbally) that "liveaboards are very welcome". After we had paid up and moved the boat in, we received a berth holder's information pack including a contract - it states quite clearly that berth holders must not spend more than 50 nights per year on their boat in the marina! But there are several full time liveaboards in the marina and the staff are fully aware of them. I think the key thing is for you to make it easy for them to not notice them. Registering the marina as your home address with official bodies like the local authority is probably not a great idea!

capnsensible

Visit site
All change in UK it seems. Haslar Marina used to have a good number of liveaboards including us. But we left the UK years ago and have lived in a number of marinas in other countries where the attitude is far more relaxed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
All change in UK it seems. Haslar Marina used to have a good number of liveaboards including us. But we left the UK years ago and have lived in a number of marinas in other countries where the attitude is far more relaxed.

I think we made a rod for our own back, some turn up in a marina and the first thing they do is screw down the satellite dish to the pontoon, leave they dinghy bits of rubbishy crap blocking the pontoon I even seen washing machine place on the pontoon , then start complaining about the hot water and deminding other stuff , can you Blane a marina not wanting us .
In the Med and away from the U.K. I guess as the marina are petty empty in the winter months they willing to except liveaboard for a few months , that why the deals only last that long .

xyachtdave

Visit site
In line with comments above, my tips for successful living aboard and not getting asked to leave a UK marina...

1) Don't be the pain in the backside of the marina office regarding berth location, facilities etc, just be pleased someone is there to open the lock and you've got somewhere to park your boat. Please and thank yous at every opportunity if it doesn't come naturally to you!

2) You'll be on the pontoon a lot more so people will notice you're around a lot and guess you're a resident. Don't stop and chat to everyone boring them senseless with your tales of nautical heroics, just smile, say hi and keep walking. I can think of someone that's such a PITA I pretend to be on the phone to avoid hearing the same old nonsense when I see them coming.

3) All the obvious bits, don't pile the boat up with your land junk, bikes, BBQ's, stepladders etc, your boat needs to look like you can still take it to sea, not a floating shed.

4) The person on the boat next to you probably comes to their boat to get away from it all, seeing you every weekend with your washing hanging out might not be their idea of fun, especially if you've not tuned into number 2.

Hope it goes well!

GHA

Visit site
In line with comments above, my tips for successful living aboard and not getting asked to leave a UK marina...

1) Don't be the pain in the backside of the marina office regarding berth location, facilities etc, just be pleased someone is there to open the lock and you've got somewhere to park your boat. Please and thank yous at every opportunity if it doesn't come naturally to you!

2) You'll be on the pontoon a lot more so people will notice you're around a lot and guess you're a resident. Don't stop and chat to everyone boring them senseless with your tales of nautical heroics, just smile, say hi and keep walking. I can think of someone that's such a PITA I pretend to be on the phone to avoid hearing the same old nonsense when I see them coming.

3) All the obvious bits, don't pile the boat up with your land junk, bikes, BBQ's, stepladders etc, your boat needs to look like you can still take it to sea, not a floating shed.

4) The person on the boat next to you probably comes to their boat to get away from it all, seeing you every weekend with your washing hanging out might not be their idea of fun, especially if you've not tuned into number 2.

Hope it goes well!
Agree completely Plus pay instantly when the bill comes in .

dslittle

Visit site
Hi I am looking for a marina that accepts Liveaboards. I heard there a few in Brighton, Eastbourne and Newhaven? Can anyone confirm this or suggest a marina in the vicinity that accepts liveaboards.

We lived on board in Brighton for five years. There were many other doing so too.

I spoke with a friend, who is still there, last week and he is now paying Council Tax so I guess that kind of answers your question for the current time.