Liveaboard Crete

KiK

Visit site
Welcome all.

My wife and I are about to retire early and plan for next years to live on our boat somewhere where is nice, warm and inexpensive. Sometimes in a marina, sometimes (more often) on a hook. We thinking about Crete.

Is there anyone here who has some experience from there, who lived or still lives on the boat there?

Thanks

Krystof

Clancy Moped

Visit site
We wintered there for about 5 years on and off in Agios Nikolaos, that was about 4 years ago, it wasn't an easy place to get a berth, it was cheap, the winter can be cold ish. I would suggest you contact Tony Cross he's there I believe, good luck it's a nice place.

PlanB

Visit site
You don't state your nationality. There are, of course, possible residence/tax issues.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The guy you want to talk to is Tony Cross you normally find him on one of the Greece forum , as your new you won't be able to PM him ,
I will,point him to this posting for you .
Good luck

Tony Cross

Visit site
Crete is a wonderful place to live and there are lots of regular liveaboards here too. There is only one proper fully serviced marina on Crete and that's in Agios Nikolaos. It has a vibrant liveaboard community, mainly during the winter months although there are people about in the summer too.

A few people live aboard in the 'marina' at Rethymnon but the facilities there are poor, it can be noisy and it's a bit of a walk to anything in the town.

Whilst it's a great place to live it has to be said that Crete is a rubbish place to sail. The coastline is beautiful and there are coves and bays everywhere, but the prevailing NW winds blow hard on the north coast and they climb over the 2000m high mountains and tumble chaotically down on the south coast. In Meltemi season (July and August) the north coast is a nightmare and the south coast largely untenable. You can sail in Mirabello Bay (where Agios Nikolaos is located) in the Meltemi but there is nowhere except the marina to safely spend the night in the summer. May/June and late Oct/early November are the calmest periods and people do sail here then.

Agios Nikolaos Marina is relatively cheap but it's hugely popular, I very much doubt you'd get a berth there for this winter and you'd be wise to book before the end of this year if you want a berth over winter 2022/23. The town is right outside the marina and it has everything you need. It's alive in the winter too.

The marina's website is here Marina of Agios Nikolaos, Crete | ΔΑΕΑΝ | Μαρίνα Αγίου Νικολάου, Κρήτης

You'll probably also want my (free) pilot for Crete, that can be downloaded from Crete Pilot.pdf

You're more than welcome to PM or email me (email address is in the pilot) and I'll help in any way I can (I live in Agios Nikolaos, though not in the marina any more).

KiK

Visit site
The guy you want to talk to is Tony Cross you normally find him on one of the Greece forum , as your new you won't be able to PM him ,
I will,point him to this posting for you .
Good luck
Thank you for your help. Tony answered me very extensively! We really have to rethink whether it should be Crete.

KiK

Visit site
Crete is a wonderful place to live and there are lots of regular liveaboards here too. There is only one proper fully serviced marina on Crete and that's in Agios Nikolaos. It has a vibrant liveaboard community, mainly during the winter months although there are people about in the summer too.

A few people live aboard in the 'marina' at Rethymnon but the facilities there are poor, it can be noisy and it's a bit of a walk to anything in the town.

Whilst it's a great place to live it has to be said that Crete is a rubbish place to sail. The coastline is beautiful and there are coves and bays everywhere, but the prevailing NW winds blow hard on the north coast and they climb over the 2000m high mountains and tumble chaotically down on the south coast. In Meltemi season (July and August) the north coast is a nightmare and the south coast largely untenable. You can sail in Mirabello Bay (where Agios Nikolaos is located) in the Meltemi but there is nowhere except the marina to safely spend the night in the summer. May/June and late Oct/early November are the calmest periods and people do sail here then.

Agios Nikolaos Marina is relatively cheap but it's hugely popular, I very much doubt you'd get a berth there for this winter and you'd be wise to book before the end of this year if you want a berth over winter 2022/23. The town is right outside the marina and it has everything you need. It's alive in the winter too.

The marina's website is here Marina of Agios Nikolaos, Crete | ΔΑΕΑΝ | Μαρίνα Αγίου Νικολάου, Κρήτης

You'll probably also want my (free) pilot for Crete, that can be downloaded from Crete Pilot.pdf

You're more than welcome to PM or email me (email address is in the pilot) and I'll help in any way I can (I live in Agios Nikolaos, though not in the marina any more).

KiK

Visit site
Hi Tony,

Firstly thank you for your answer and massive information in. Because your Crete pilot is so extensive, we will read on the next day off. Of course we have much more questions, but we may find answers to them in your pilot :). We are generally "sea nomads" and it doesn't have to be just Crete. If you know any other and friendly Greek islands, with good and inexpensive (like Agios Nicolaos) marinas and safe anchorages where we can live all year round, we would love to use your knowledge! Any other questions we will send on your email.
Thanks again
Katrina & Krystof

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Kik
A suggestion is join the med sailing site where you will find hundreds of cruisers who sail around Greece , i have spend well over 35 years in and out of Greek waters but for the 3 years we keyed away.
Greece is a wonderful country to sail , it has its down sides too like many many charter boat and the Greek Cruising tax but if you boat is under 12 mts that not a big deal .
You will find much more info on med sailing then here .
All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: KiK

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hi Tony,

Firstly thank you for your answer and massive information in. Because your Crete pilot is so extensive, we will read on the next day off. Of course we have much more questions, but we may find answers to them in your pilot :). We are generally "sea nomads" and it doesn't have to be just Crete. If you know any other and friendly Greek islands, with good and inexpensive (like Agios Nicolaos) marinas and safe anchorages where we can live all year round, we would love to use your knowledge! Any other questions we will send on your email.
Thanks again
Katrina & Krystof
Most liveaboards who winter in the marina here on Crete sail all over the eastern Med in the summer (they are summer sea nomads). Whilst it is possible to continue cruising in the eastern Med in the winter it is more difficult to find safe places to anchor and a close watch on the weather is essential. Lots of coastal places shut down for the winter too so finding water for example becomes a tad more difficult. Getting into almost any marina (in stormy weather for example) will be difficult too because most marinas (and suitable ports) will be full of wintering liveaboards - and even if they're not the only spaces will be on the most exposed locations.

In the winter months we get low pressure areas moving swiftly across northern Greece every couple of weeks or so. That means that for a couple of days prior to the low arriving we'll have quite strong (often up to gale 8) southerly winds throughout the Libyan Sea and up into the Aegean Sea. These are followed a day or so later by equally strong northerlies as the low moves away. Because these lows move quite fast the time between the strong southerlies switching to strong northerlies can be as little as a day (on rare occasions it can change in the same day) and that means that wherever you are in the eastern Med you may need to move anchorage pretty quickly.

Most liveaboards stay in a marina for the winter months (typically late November to early April) because of the added hassle of winter cruising. Winter liveaboard life with an active community can be great fun. It's also a time to do essential maintenance and upgrades etc. and get the boat out for hull cleaning and antifouling. A great many people find that they enjoy living the two lifestyles; sea nomads in the summer and in a vibrant and active sailing community in the winter.

Generally (with no lockdowns of course) people leave the marina in Agios Nikolaos at the end of April and early May (often on the last of the winter southerlies) for their preferred summer cruising grounds. They cruise all summer and don't return to Crete until late October or early November. Because October and November are generally fairly quiet weather wise, many choose to spend a few weeks cruising Crete before heading in to the marina for the winter.

The marina here is very much a wintering marina. We get the odd few visiting yachts in the summer - quite often they are charterers who enjoyed a lovely downwind sail on the prevailing northwesterlies and are then horrified to find that they have to beat all the way back! A lot of liveaboards stop by here in the summer out of curiosity and end up wintering here in the following winter. Most people wintering here are regulars, I have no idea what the numbers are but I reckon a good 50% of the boats here now have spent at least one winter here before. Many boats have been here every winter for several years. When we sailed we spent 12 winters here, others have been here just as many times.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Most liveaboards who winter in the marina here on Crete sail all over the eastern Med in the summer (they are summer sea nomads). Whilst it is possible to continue cruising in the eastern Med in the winter it is more difficult to find safe places to anchor and a close watch on the weather is essential. Lots of coastal places shut down for the winter too so finding water for example becomes a tad more difficult. Getting into almost any marina (in stormy weather for example) will be difficult too because most marinas (and suitable ports) will be full of wintering liveaboards - and even if they're not the only spaces will be on the most exposed locations.

In the winter months we get low pressure areas moving swiftly across northern Greece every couple of weeks or so. That means that for a couple of days prior to the low arriving we'll have quite strong (often up to gale 8) southerly winds throughout the Libyan Sea and up into the Aegean Sea. These are followed a day or so later by equally strong northerlies as the low moves away. Because these lows move quite fast the time between the strong southerlies switching to strong northerlies can be as little as a day (on rare occasions it can change in the same day) and that means that wherever you are in the eastern Med you may need to move anchorage pretty quickly.

Most liveaboards stay in a marina for the winter months (typically late November to early April) because of the added hassle of winter cruising. Winter liveaboard life with an active community can be great fun. It's also a time to do essential maintenance and upgrades etc. and get the boat out for hull cleaning and antifouling. A great many people find that they enjoy living the two lifestyles; sea nomads in the summer and in a vibrant and active sailing community in the winter.

Generally (with no lockdowns of course) people leave the marina in Agios Nikolaos at the end of April and early May (often on the last of the winter southerlies) for their preferred summer cruising grounds. They cruise all summer and don't return to Crete until late October or early November. Because October and November are generally fairly quiet weather wise, many choose to spend a few weeks cruising Crete before heading in to the marina for the winter.

The marina here is very much a wintering marina. We get the odd few visiting yachts in the summer - quite often they are charterers who enjoyed a lovely downwind sail on the prevailing northwesterlies and are then horrified to find that they have to beat all the way back! A lot of liveaboards stop by here in the summer out of curiosity and end up wintering here in the following winter. Most people wintering here are regulars, I have no idea what the numbers are but I reckon a good 50% of the boats here now have spent at least one winter here before. Many boats have been here every winter for several years. When we sailed we spent 12 winters here, others have been here just as many times.
Excellent local information .
Thanks

KiK

Visit site

[

Of course I'm impressed with your rich response! :) THANK. YOU!!!
Katrina &Kristof

KiK

Visit site
A suggestion is join the med sailing site where you will find hundreds of cruisers who sail around Greece , i have spend well over 35 years in and out of Greek waters but for the 3 years we keyed away.
Greece is a wonderful country to sail , it has its down sides too like many many charter boat and the Greek Cruising tax but if you boat is under 12 mts that not a big deal .
All the best
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for suggestion. I tried find med sailing site on this forum, but can't. do you know full name of?
All the best
Krystof

RupertW

Visit site
All the best

Thank you for suggestion. I tried find med sailing site on this forum, but can't. do you know full name of?
All the best
Krystof
[/QUOTE]
I think Vic means Facebook Group - he (like me) is on that as well as YBW forums

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes sorry should have said this maybe just my view but you get a better balance of option on there .
You can also join friends of lefkas marina on FB , you find lots of liveabord in the Ionion pat of Greecec .

Last edited:

Barbaria

Visit site
Do anyone know if any of the moderators of the Med Sailing group are members here on ybw?
I get no reponse to my requests.