Liveaboard boat advice please

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Hi

Wifey & I are planning to sell our house & buy a boat to live aboard. We would locate it in Scotland. As part of our plans we would want it to be suitable for visiting The Western Isles & general coastal cruising around the British Isles. After a few years of that, we would like the boat to be capable of visiting the Mediterranean for a year or two.

After several years of chartering, we are more interested in motor cruisers than sailing yachts. We are thinking of up to 50ft, twin engines, two double berth cabins. We have seen a very nice Fleming which is over our budget & a couple Trader 50's which have a good layout. I particularly liked the raised pilot house of the Fleming.

As we are newbies, we would welcome any & all advice. Budget is up to £200k preferably less. Any repairs or work needed would need to come from the budget.

Thanks.

PlanB

Visit site
I think you are right in terms of your size choice - the best bit of advice we were given when looking initially at 38 footers was "get a bigger boat or you'll kill each other".
We ended up (16 years ago) with a Princess 435 and never regretted it. Having space to get away from each other and any guests made life much more pleasant.
Traders have a good layout for liveaboard (great aft cabin) - have never been on a Fleming but admired one greatly from the pantalan.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for your reply.

I do like the idea of multiple living spaces. The larger Traders often have a little dinette area adjacent to the galley & also a great aft desk which can be enclosed - both giving additional living areas. I will take a look at the Princess.

Tranona

Visit site
A semi displacement would be more suitable than a planing boat such as the Princess if you intend to travel any distance. The latter can be uncomfortable over long distances and will drain your wallet quickly if used as designed. They are essentially weekend boats intended for short blasts between marinas or out to anchorages and back.

A Fleming is the right sort of boat, but not sure you will get one in your budget.

Generally very few people use MOBOs for long term living aboard if actually cruising - far more suitable for marina living in the sun! However trawler yachts that are happy to run at displacement speeds are a good compromise.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for your reply Tranona

I took a look at the Princess & it is a little too sporty for my tastes.

I think in my initial description I made too much of the cruising part. I suspect that for the first 4 or 5 years we will be mostly berthed with the odd coastal trip whilst we are rebuilding our business. It is after that we would hope for a longer cruise. I think that I was more interested in the boat being capable of cruising the Mediterranean whereas I gave the impression that was it's main purpose.

There are only two Flemings currently on the market in the UK, one is for £250k & one is about £750k. Whereas there are 3 or 4 suitable Traders.

daveb73

Visit site
Have you considered a power catamaran? Big difference in living space compared to a mono hull and you can find a used one within 200k

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for your reply Dave

I have thought of a catamaran, particularly as I have been reading Sandra Clayton's cruising books. I can't seem to find any listed for sale though. In addition I think that the beam may be a little wide for my intended marina as they have a max beam of 4m & I am currently (hopefully) in a waiting list for a hammerhead end-of jetty berth as most of the cruiser boats I have in my shortlist have a beam of about 4.5m or so.

Can you suggest any powered catamaran makes?

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
Hi Orange

Would a Beneteau trawler 44 be worth a look ? Cheaper than a Fleming but maybe not cheap enough for budget? They are probably not easiest boat to berth ( I saw one expertly berth in Ocean Village in a blow) but once tied up might have space required? That said max beam of 4m might be hard to achieve as you have said .

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Nice idea, I have looked at the Swift range & like the look of the boat. I'm not sure however that the accommodation layout would suit us as we would like two double cabins & the second 44 cabin is a little tight. We also would want to put a washing machine somewhere.

I do want to have a look at one though & will have it on my viewing list.

I think that the max beam at the marina is based on sail boats. I think I can probably push it a little if moored at the hammerhead.

ashtead

Visit site
Orange -I think I saw a second hand 44 for sale recently on Yachtworld or suchlike which send out add emails of yachts for sale so they are out there to view but I haven't been below one so cannot comment on space requirements . Despite not being in Fleming space they do seem well regarded but I am sure there must be some Swift owners who might be able to give you more info on living in/with one .

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
good luck orange,
we hope to move aboard our boat in the future, we have a aft cabin motor boat.
in our marina there are a several liveaboards and several are motor boats and they seem to be very happy
we have a boat like plan b and find that suites us, we would love a trader or fleming but its out of our budget.
the last few years we have done most of our trips at displacement speed instead of 20 plus knots, it takes a bit of getting used to going slow but much cheaper and you find you actualy enjoy the journey.
i think that if your retired you can pick your weather and tides, if you stay put for a few days waiting for the right conditions its no problem.
good luck again orange
heather and steve

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for the message Heather & Steve

I was checking with some marinas this afternoon, in case we get the boat before the liveaboard marina are ready. One of the marinas told me about the BSS certificate. More money.. sigh!

Hadenough

Visit site
Thanks for the message Heather & Steve

I was checking with some marinas this afternoon, in case we get the boat before the liveaboard marina are ready. One of the marinas told me about the BSS certificate. More money.. sigh!

Try the expression continuous cruising rather than livaboard. The concept of "livaboard marinas" and the probable cost implications horrify me!
And if you are thinking about wintering aboard ( as I assume you are as liveaboards) choose your winter berth very carefully. The ambient weather on the west coast of Scotland over the last four years or so precludes many locations.

Last edited:

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for your message Hadenough

We were intending to stay in a Scottish liveaboard marina. Apart from the extra wear & tear of remaining afloat all year, what are the extra costs please?

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
If I had your budget I would look at an Elling E3. An E4 would probably be a bit over budget. Normally single engined but available with second smaller auxiliary as backup. Exceptionally seaworthy and also a very pleasant place to live.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
If I had your budget I would look at an Elling E3. An E4 would probably be a bit over budget. Normally single engined but available with second smaller auxiliary as backup. Exceptionally seaworthy and also a very pleasant place to live.

It's a very interesting boat, I have not heard of this manufacturer before, but I'm very interested. They seem a smidge over my budget & there does not appear to be any for sale in the UK at the moment. I will look into them further. Thanks for the suggestion.