Little American yacht

Wansworth

Visit site
Needs new sails that actual fit the boat. That Genoa looks very odd fit indeed.
Yes indeed but my op was about how a small yacht ended up in Galicia.Iknow of one other about twenty years ago that was sailed across the Atlantic and the Americansold it to a friend of mine

Minerva

Visit site
Yes indeed but my op was about how a small yacht ended up in Galicia.Iknow of one other about twenty years ago that was sailed across the Atlantic and the Americansold it to a friend of mine
Sorry I mistook the thread to about a boat you were interested in buying. My mistake.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
the pic with the genoa looks like they gave up hoisting it all the way. It's fouled up with the pulpit at the foot. Worrying that someone would put up with that. Nice little boat, hard to tell if engine ok from the pic.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Looks quite nice, generally. Worth checking out,

Mysterious lack of photos of galley, heads compartment, forecabin, etc., but the Spanish ads seem even worse than the British ones on that front.

Engine condition and spares availability probably the biggest question mark, on the face of it. 7.5hp v modest by today's standards, but one could live with it. Is the engine a 1GM, or what? If so, what are they like (apart from rather old now)?

The genoa looks like a dog's breakfast. Looks to me its from another boat, and completely the wrong shape for this boat. It appears that even if you put a line (forgotten term) from it to lift the tack off the deck the head wouldn't reach anywhere near the top of the forestay. I see no evidence of 'a few rolls on the forestay'. No roller reefing, it looks like its sagging away between the hanks in a couple of places, and if there were a few rolls and they were undone the clew would be too far aft. Easily solved, though, with the application of a few pesetas for a new genoa (or a second-hand one from a similar sized/proportioned rig).

I was wondering if it had an emergency tiller,as you do😏

Were you particularly planning on having an emergency?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Nice boat and from a time when cost of material had not yet made it necessary to cut back as much as possible.

Obviously needs a visit and closer inspection, but if it fits Wansey's wishes and expectations, it could be the right purchase.

The Yanmar 1GM was made, I think, from 1980, and used in all sorts of applications, globally. Marine, small tractors, stationary, agri, and...
Still in their catalogue, now as 1GM10, many in use and maintained/repaired. If in good order it wouldn't worry.

If the reference to Folkboat is to International Folkboat, I don't see a lot in common apart form the size

1722058685459.png

Wansworth

Visit site
Looks quite nice, generally. Worth checking out,

Mysterious lack of photos of galley, heads compartment, forecabin, etc., but the Spanish ads seem even worse than the British ones on that front.

Engine condition and spares availability probably the biggest question mark, on the face of it. 7.5hp v modest by today's standards, but one could live with it. Is the engine a 1GM, or what? If so, what are they like (apart from rather old now)?

The genoa looks like a dog's breakfast. Looks to me its from another boat, and completely the wrong shape for this boat. It appears that even if you put a line (forgotten term) from it to lift the tack off the deck the head wouldn't reach anywhere near the top of the forestay. I see no evidence of 'a few rolls on the forestay'. No roller reefing, it looks like its sagging away between the hanks in a couple of places, and if there were a few rolls and they were undone the clew would be too far aft. Easily solved, though, with the application of a few pesetas for a new genoa (or a second-hand one from a similar sized/proportioned rig).

Were you particularly planning on having an emergency?
The question is “What are you doing up at03:34in the morning!😂